Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: CMP Colt Markings

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

CMP Colt Markings

Greetings all,

Just rec'd one of the discussed 1911's from the CMP. I would appreciate any assistance on the more obscure (to me) markings. Thanks!!

The CMP tag says it was made by Colt & by the serial # listing that's pinned, it appears to be a 1945 manufacture.

My guess is that the markings around the trigger frame edge indicate a refurb at the Anniston Army Depot in April of '86?

A little browsing around suggests the slide is a later replacement. What information can be gleaned from the markings on the slide?

I'm guessing the barrel was replaced as well, It has an HS marking on one side of the barrel link pin & a P on the other side. My guess is that the barrel was made by High Standard & the other is a proof mark?

There is a GHD inspector's mark (Brig Gen Guy H Drewry?) & a P proof mark.

Finally, there is this X mark right behind the disconnector. Assembly mark?
    Likes (2) :
    Frgood (12th November 2018), SergeantMajor (14th December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    The barrel was indeed made by High Standard.
    The slide is a generic GI replacement to blueprint no 7790314 by Numax Electronics, New York, CAGE code 53397.
    All put together at Anniston.
    Likes (1) :
    Frgood (12th November 2018)

Last edited by Jim Watson; 12th November 2018 at 08:25.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the details! Even though I would love to have something all original, these details still make it interesting. Though I haven't shot it yet, it feels pretty tight & I believe they did a pretty good job at the arsenal.

Posts liked by others
    This one is more shootable than if original. These are fully hear treated slides, stronger than WWII GI.

Posts liked by others
    Yes I read over on the CMP site that the replacement slides are heat treated and shooters are happy when there 1911 shows up
    with a
    replacement slides. I am new here and am waiting for my CMP # to come up.