Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460. rowland

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    What would be the opinion on 5-10 K rounds of 200 gr cast loads @ 1200 FPS in a springfield GI converted to this? Worn out by then? I can't see myself shooting much more than that in the next twenty years hunting with it......

Posts liked by others
    I had one that I put on my kimber target II.Using 185g bullets anything over 1200 fps I was getting primer scrapes from the firing pin hole.I contacted clarks and they said they wanted to put a bushing in and a smaller firing pin to take care of the problem.I did not want to butcher my kimber so I took the kit off and sold it.I was just not comfortable with the kit on my kimber,if I did it again I would buy a cheaper 1911 to put it on.You really know when you shoot the 460 rowland,plenty of power and recoil was not at all bad even with the heavy loads.I bought it for deer hunting but I think I will get a 10mm next.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by aephilli
    What would be the opinion on 5-10 K rounds of 200 gr cast loads @ 1200 FPS in a springfield GI converted to this? Worn out by then? I can't see myself shooting much more than that in the next twenty years hunting with it......
    You can do that with .45 Super. Very limited modifications, compared to .460 Rowland. I've been looking at the old .451 Detonics Magnum, which is dimensionally close to .460 Rowland, and it just about mimics 10mm velocities for a given bullet weight. Some may like not having to change barrels (advantage .45 Super), but I sort of like not being able to load the hotter round in a gun not chambered for it (advantage .451). In the old Book of the .45, Dean Grennell lists some .451 loads, using AA7, that get a 185gr bullet up around 1500fps from a 6" barrel. I have a 6" competition gun that may be soon rendered obsolete, and I was thinking of rechambering to .451, so the gun would still see some use (what for, other than scaring the shooter in the lane next to me, I'm not sure ).

Posts liked by others

Nice .460 Rowland article in the current date Handloader.

Nice .460 Rowland article in the current date June-July 2007 Handloader, #247, by Bob Campbell with a full page of loads and a discussion of bullet performance including both factory (Georgia Arms) and handloads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12