Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Contacting Beavertail

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Hammer Contacting Beavertail

Would this contact concern you?

If so, would you choose to relieve the hammer or the beavertail?

Regards,
    Josh

Posts liked by others
    Is there peening on the Hammer or Beavertail? If so, I would lightly blend those areas. Some of my 1911s have some hammer to beavertail contact but high on the hammer serrations.

Posts liked by others
    Hello,

It's making contact, scuffing the bluing at the circled contact point.

Not hard, but irritating.

Regards,
    Josh

Posts liked by others
    Is this while holding the pistol in a firing position, with the grip safety depressed, or when the beavertail is in the SAFE position?

Who made the gun? Who made the hammer? Who made the beavertail?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hello,

The beavertail is fully depressed in that picture, and I'm holding the hammer rearward.

Manufacturer is Fusion.

The beavertail is a Brown, but it still does it with an STI.

Regards,
    Josh

Posts liked by others
    IMHO you are experiencing the result of mixing parts from different sources. It would not concern me but, if it irritates you, take a Dremel and relieve the notch in the beavertail at the point of contact.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 30th August 2018 at 14:20. Reason: Typo - "notch," not "botch"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    The beavertail is fully depressed in that picture, and I'm holding the hammer rearward.

Manufacturer is Fusion.

The beavertail is a Brown, but it still does it with an STI.
    The above has left me thoroughly confused. First it appears you said the beavertail is a Fusion product. Then you say it's a Brown.

And then you say "it" (the beavertail, or the hammer?) still does it with an STI (beavertail, or hammer?)
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    The above has left me thoroughly confused. First it appears you said the beavertail is a Fusion product. Then you say it's a Brown.

And then you say "it" (the beavertail, or the hammer?) still does it with an STI (beavertail, or hammer?)
    Hello,

Sorry; was trying to do that from my phone.

The Fusion hammer contacts both Brown and STI grip safeties at the circled point.

I've begun relieving the Brown grip safety with a pillar file as an experiment, and am running the STI. (The STI is very similar to, if not the same as, the Fusion grip safety.)

The mainspring is standard 23lbs. I've debated taking it up to 25lbs for a couple reasons, but I'm not sure the extra 2lbs would really slow the hammer all that much.

Regards,
    Josh

Posts liked by others
    Contact between hammer and grip safety is normal.
    The slide is driving the hammer back HARD into "overcock."

A target pistol might have the springs and contact surfaces calibrated so the hammer is just barely brought to full cock in order to preserve a fine sear engagement, but there is some pounding going on in a service pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Would this contact concern you?
    It would concern me only if there wasn't any such contact as Jim Watson pointed out in Post #9. That's the way the 1911 was brilliantly designed so that the hammer could be decocked with a single hand. It's all spelled out out in JMB's own words in his patent... https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...atent-document ...on page 7, lines 8 through 68 and on page 12, lines 106 through 117 (paragraph 38).
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 2nd August 2018 at 10:36.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast