Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Unique vs. Accurate

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Unique vs. Accurate

I've been loading .45 ACP 200 gr. FN lead bullets with 5.7 gr. of Unique which works well but it burns dirtier than I like. Recently a friend suggested I try Accurate No.2 if I want a really clean burn. I've read that a super fine powder like that may cause the machine to dump powder on the shell plate and on the floor and I'm already having that issue with Unique. Is that true about switching to a fine powder and how can it be avoided? Oh, I'm using a Dillon 650 press. Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Unique now comes in a container with a black label instead of the old orange. I suggest you puick up a new container and give it a try. The new formula is about 50% cleaner than the old.

Posts liked by others
    I been using Unique since the 70's. The newer version is cleaner and seem to be a little hotter.

Posts liked by others
    AA2 is more accurate than Unique is my .45s and I have never had any leakage problems.
    If your measure leaks Unique, you have a severe problem and should contact Dillon.
    For .45 Auto, I prefer 231/HP38, Red Dot, Bullseye, AA2, and Unique.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    AA2 is a very clean burning power. It should feed ok in your Dillon.
    As has been stated the newer Unique burns cleaner than the old Unique. Loading close to the maximum will also give cleaner burning.

Posts liked by others
    Red Dot, Green Dot, 231/HP38, Titegroup, 700X are powders that I have used in the last 30 years. All burn pretty clean and give good accuracy. Autocomp and Power Pistol are ok but take a heavy charge weight so you get less per pound. The Accurate arms powders are good also with AA#2 being the first choice and #5 second as it also uses a heavier charge weight. Also the AA powders are hard on Dillon powder measures. They drop dead on but cause wear to the slides. The beauty of the 45 ACP is it can use almost any powder made!
    There are no accidents; only ignorance, mechanical failure, and acts of God! I have loaded over 6 million rounds in the last 7 years and STILL have not seen it all!