Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60% 1911 Frame

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

60% 1911 Frame

I just purchased a 60% 1911 frame from DIY Guns. I also got a cd rom on how to complete an 80% build. Also got a rail cutter. However after reviewing the cd rom and searched forever on the net, I am trying to figure out where all the holes have to be drilled. How is this usually done. I have a milling machine and all nessacary shop equipt. Is there a jig or a template for the Holes? I know they have one for the rails but I do not need that one. Is there maybe a stick on template or something like that? Thanks for your help.

Posts liked by others
    nickatnite27,

I have threatened to do a 60% or an 80% buildup myself.
    A 1911 is a bit more fussy with respect to hole locations, therefore you probably won't see any hole drilling templates for them like you do for AK's. You need the drawings for the frame. There are some old blueprints posted in the "Technical Issues" section of this forum's parent site m1911.org. They aren't very clear so you may have trouble reading them. Your best bet for drawings would be Vol. 2 of Jerry Kuhnhausen's books on the 1911. It has all of the drawings for a 1911. While you're at it, you might as well get Vol. 1, too. All of the hole locations are referenced from the slide stop pin hole. The frame would need to be clamped to the mill table with some 123 blocks underneath to raise it up. You need to buy or make an aluminum mag well filler to keep from crushing the frame when clamping. Indicate along the top of the slide rail since that is also a datum surface and then center you're spindle over the slide stop hole by indicating inside the hole. Invest in some good quality spotting drills, drill bits, and reamers. Use lots of cutting oil and take your time. Also, if you are using a Bridgeport style of mill, make sure you're head is trammed in and use the table locks when you get the frame in each hole position.

I hope this makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.

Good luck,

3jaw
    I never learned anything while talking.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    In the literature section of our Home Page, there is a book with all the blueprints you want. Order it from Nicholaus Associates. Then start measuring.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I would recommend carbide drill bits as they will give you more accuracy with less walking.
    Rich

Posts liked by others
    If you look here... http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/downloads.html He has a very nicely done set of blueprints for the 1911... They were made easier to read than most you can buy.... I would also suggest checking out the Roderus Custom Home Gunsmithing website and forum... http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi Just about all of your questions can be answered by searching the forum..... I would like to see a picture of the %60 frame.... I have an %80, and would like to see the differences between the two.... In the DIY guns website, they list their new ones as having a full length dust cover... Is yours one of those????
    Here is a little something to get you started....
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers....
    Last edited by Ericthenorse; 2nd November 2006 at 13:35.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the help. You guys saved me a lot of time. I will begin this project in about 2 weeks. In respect to the picture in diy guns, their photos are ones of 80% even though they only sell 60%. I will try to get a photo up of thge 60% in a day or two.

Posts liked by others
    Be sure and post pics of your progress!

Posts liked by others

here are pics of the 60% frame as received.

Posts liked by others
    After seeing the photos, I take back what I said about using the top of the rails surfaces and the slide stop pin hole as references and datums. They ain't there!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta find something else that's already machined and work from there.

Ya gotcher' work cut out fer ya!

Posts liked by others
    That is a little more workthan I expected... Their site says "not all holes drilled". Looks to me like only one is drilled.... They should change it to "All holes NOT drilled"...And it is not even the important one.... I still think I will get one though.... Need a project for the new mini mill.... When did you order it, and how long did it take to get to you???
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast