Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Most reliable feeding .45acp hollowpoints/Kimber Ultra Carry 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Most reliable feeding .45acp hollowpoints/Kimber Ultra Carry 1911

I would like to ask all Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 45acp owners a question. Which brand of hollowpoint ammo feeds the most reliable, and which does not? Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Most 1911s can feed an empty case, so feeding JHP depends almost entirely on good magazines and finding the right COL range, and not on the JHP itself. I never had any issue with the old Speer "flying ashtray." It fed 100%.
    As far has generalities go for ALL cartridges in a semi-auto, the best feeding would be a round/curved ogive (rather than conical) and the smallest meplat; but, to me, the whole discussion of reliable feeding is STILL magazine/COL.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I use a Barnes 185gn TAC XP in my Ultra Raptor, same guts different esthetics as your gun, they work just fine.

That gun will not reliably operate with anything from anyone at 230 but the 185's work great.

I use use them for a few reasons.

1. They are quite similar in length and shape to a 230 gn rn.
    2. Barnes sells them for reloading so I can practice with a reload that closely mimics my factory carry ammo.
    3. Dr. Roberts approves of the performance of the bullet on bodies and barriers.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Most 1911s can feed an empty case, so feeding JHP depends almost entirely on good magazines and finding the right COL range, and not on the JHP itself. I never had any issue with the old Speer "flying ashtray." It fed 100%.
    I have never seen a 1911 that would feed an empty case. I keep reading about guns that supposedly will do this, but I've never seen one. But ALL of mine will feed Golden Saber JHPs, and all of mine will feed lead semi-wadcutter ammunition.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I have never seen a 1911 that would feed an empty case.
    Stop by my place and watch Petunia do just that - either from a full magazine or the only one in the magazine. She'll even reliably feed minimum length (0.750") empty 45GAP cases as well as a 0.625" test case. But empty test cases 0.560 and 0.473 inches long caused an occasional jamb.

Petunia's aptly named - she'll eat most anything!

Cheers
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 9th January 2018 at 14:34.

Posts liked by others
    Well, all my 1911s feed empty sized cases. Always thought a 1911 that didn't had a magazine problem...
    NRA Life Member
    Likes (2) :
    PolyKahr (11th January 2018), RV6 (30th June 2018)