Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabot Guns - General Discussion

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Pictures

I've posted 2 new pictures of the Jones & Deluxe with different wood grips. Got the extended slide stop for the Deluxe. I'm going to go over to my friends house (he's a gunsmith) and I'll polish it up over there and get it installed. Eventually I'll get to the silencer and I plan on sending it out to have it engraved with guns name.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMSS
    I've posted 2 new pictures of the Jones & Deluxe with different wood grips. Got the extended slide stop for the Deluxe. I'm going to go over to my friends house (he's a gunsmith) and I'll polish it up over there and get it installed. Eventually I'll get to the silencer and I plan on sending it out to have it engraved with guns name.
    Although the Ironwood grips are beautiful, I like the original grips better. Especially on the Jones.

You have gorgeous pistols and the Canon EOS 5D Mark II is a very good camera.
    You should buy a lightbox and try again to take pictures, you'll be impressed by the difference.

Posts liked by others
    I'll look into a lightbox since I've never even heard of one. Although on the Deluxe I will have to be careful on how i shoot the pictures since it can pick up the polishing marks. In fact I'll post one to show you what I mean. The thing that is better on the new grips is the cut and fit. Look at the pictures and you can see the cut along the top of the grips and it's rounded. On the new ones they have it all cut out for the safety and extended slide stop. (That side of the gun is not shown in the new pics though).

Posts liked by others
    I'll look into a lightbox since I've never even heard of one. Although on the Deluxe I will have to be careful on how i shoot the pictures since it can pick up the polishing marks. In fact I'll post one to show you what I mean. The thing that is better on the new grips is the cut and fit. Look at the pictures and you can see the cut along the top of the grips and it's rounded. On the new ones they have it all cut out for the safety and extended slide stop. (That side of the gun is not shown in the new pics though).
    The lightbox is basically a mini white tent with filtered lighting.
    It will soften the light, therefore your polishing marks will be less visible.
    Do a Google search with "Photography lightbox" or "Photography light box".
    A $30-$50 model will do the job.

Posts liked by others
    ...and if you want to see all of the blemishes put the gun on a scanner and scan it at a resolution of 1200 or more. Then look it over on a high res monitor, almost like using a microscope.

I use my scanner a lot for small parts inspection.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r
    ...and if you want to see all of the blemishes put the gun on a scanner and scan it at a resolution of 1200 or more. Then look it over on a high res monitor, almost like using a microscope.
    I use my scanner a lot for small parts inspection.
    Or use a camera with macro lens.
    But I don't think he wants to see all micro blemishes on a $7.5K gun.

Posts liked by others
    Yes I don't want to see the polish lines. They are only visible in sunlight at certain angles. In normal lighting or inside you don't see them. I'm going to have all the lines removed by my friend since he's qualified to do it. I've seen his stainless firearms he has done so there won't be any lines when he's done with it.

Posts liked by others
    Yes I don't want to see the polish lines. They are only visible in sunlight at certain angles. In normal lighting or inside you don't see them. I'm going to have all the lines removed by my friend since he's qualified to do it. I've seen his stainless firearms he has done so there won't be any lines when he's done with it.
    This from the Cabot web site: "...With an almost mirror finish, the National Standard Deluxe is an investment-grade pistol polished by hand to a stunning 2 micron finish."

You could send it back to Cabot for a perfect finish.
    Do you trust your friend more than Cabot or you had some troubles with their customer support?

As far as I know, some highly polished stainless steel pistols have a protective coating (e.g. chromium nitrite). Don't know if it's a good idea to (re)polish it.

Posts liked by others
    I can trust my friend on doing it and it will be free ) which makes me happy. He's going to be the one polishing up the silencer so I might as well have it all match and done by the same person.

Posts liked by others
    Reviving a sleepy thread here but these Cabot pieces have gotten my attention. This is a "General Discussion" thread so I hope I'm ok by piggybacking.

Question to the OP: why, if unsatisfied with the finish on a $7500 pistol, did you not send the piece back to Cabot for them to back up their "2 micron mirror finish" claim?

And to Cabot Guns: why hasn't there been a response to the polishing marks on the OP's pistol?

The National Standard has the styling and features on a 1911 that really appeals to me, but I'm a bit concerned with purchasing a $5000+ pistol from a manufacturer that may or may not provide 100% customer satisfaction.

Also, to the OP: did the extended slide stop that you purchased to add to your NSD come from Cabot? If not, it seems sacrilegious to put a piece from another manufacturer on a pistol of this "caliber."

I'm not bashing here, just trying to get a feel for what to expect with Cabot. I, like others, appreciate a pistol that screams character and seems to have its own soul, but I can also appreciate the attempt at absolute perfection by Cabot, although I am a bit concerned as to why there was no apparent attempt to return this NSD in question to Cabot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123