Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Volkmann Signature

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Volkmann Signature

Well, I final did it. I ordered a Signature today. I have a few loose ends to tie up on the order, but here is the general description:

Diamond Black finish, with mirror polished slide flats
    Serrated Heel of slide
    Heinie Ledge rear site
    Gold bead front site
    Serrated heel of slide
    Volkmann Gripwell
    Custom Bushing and Plug
    Recessed and bevelled slide stop
    Black Cherry G10 grips.

I'm thinking of staying with the bushing,plug , trigger and sides of hammer in silver and leaving the barrel in silver ( not coating them in DB).

The only other thing I am considering is an extra pair of Starburst G10 grips from Larry Davidson. I just can't decide on whether I want all black, or gray and black.

Talk to me y'all. I'm open to other ideas
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like a beautiful piece. I've seen his work here locally, and from what I've seen it's great. I only wish I could afford that quality.

What kind of estimate of time to completion did you get? Just curious how long it takes to make a masterpiece like one of his.

70Falcon...

Posts liked by others
    Time is estimated at about 6 to 9 mo.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others

The perfect pistol?

Is this all I got from you guys? I know I've been talking bout it for a long time, but now it's official! Is my order so perfect y'all aint talking to me anymore?

After all, lots of you talked me into going this direction on the build.

How bouts a little "feel good" for brother Jeff... an AMEN will also suffice
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Of course we know you're excited... you listed "Serrated heel of slide" twice!

Personally, I'd have everything in black, apart from the barrel, but that's me. Also, while I like polished slide flats, I prefer the frame's flats being polished to match, too. However, I understand that there are some limitations to how polished Diamond Black can be, before unwanted issues appear...

Another question, if you get grips from some other vendor, won't you have to get them recessed carefully, for the gripwell to work properly?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others

Yeah!

WTG Jeffie!

Here's my last kick:

All black except for barrel and bushing.

Barrel and bushing both chamfered Heinie style see Signature Series.Competition Model. This will make the muzzle look like .9275 caliber to the BG.

Ball and HP carry cuts with balance polished.

Volkmann logo aft of CS's.

Lose the Volkmann grip well to maintain flexibility on future grip purchases, say Ivory or Ebony with inserts. Standard magwell OK.

VZ Gator Back or similar grips in black cherry pattern.

Gun willed to me as an international gesture with transfer to take effect with the onset of a bad cold.
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Wow, two votes for all black. Funny you should mention the grip well Gord. Am having huge anxiety bout being limited to G10s only. Only thing stopping me from all black is I am concerned about the Tupper gun look. Now if I had some nice wood grips to offset the black, I think that would be very cool.

Spyros, you are right, Luke would have to fit aftermarket grips to the gun if I had a gripwell .

Ok I might split the difference the all black. What about making the trigger black? I was hesitant on that cause if the DB wore off the trigger I think it would look pretty nasty . But what are chances of that with DB?

Spyros , on the polished frame, I thought the same thing until I got my last Volkmann . Spyros , on the polished frame, I thought the same thing until I got my last Volkmann

So what's chances of diamond black wearing off the trigger?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Good catch on the double-tap Spyros...I just thought he was stuttering! I'm with Hercster on the ball & HP cuts. I also like the bob'd grip. Oh, I'm for all black too, and shinny, shinny, shinny. And if Hercster gets a cold; I'm next on the list...

Posts liked by others

Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing11
    Wow, two votes for all black. Funny you should mention the grip well Gord. Am having huge anxiety bout being limited to G10s only..........

So what's chances of diamond black wearing off the trigger?....
    With a "Tuxedo" gun of my design, I'd be looking for special occasion grips done in an exotic burl finished to a diamond luster. Hence the concern about that special gripwell cut. That Falcon style MSH/magwell would be a good fit with its slightly rounded butt look.

With the experiences reported here with DB particularly in service mode, I very much doubt that your "desk jockey" hands would have too much impact on the DB trigger. Think about the abuse sustained by a DB barrel. Besides, in the event of wear, changing out a trigger is a POC.

BTW Don't forget the thumb relief on the G-10 grips. I really like the way it points me to the mag control and helps with fast mag changes without regripping. IMO it looks good on multi-layer G-10's too.
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.
    Last edited by hercster; 28th March 2012 at 12:20.

Posts liked by others
    As I type this with my "desk jockey" hands, I am not leaving fingerprints on my iPhone, so you are probably right about no wear on the trigger

Just one thing , what's an HP cut?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast