Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volkmann Precision

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Volkmann Precision

I am looking at picking up a Volkmann after I get back from my deployment. I haven't found alot of information about them. I was wondering if they a reliable and able to stand up to hard use?

Posts liked by others
    I have one Volkmann combat carry and a Signature on order

My bobtail commander shoots better than any 1911 I have ever touched. Mine has been 100% reliable from day 1.. I have about 1200 rounds through it now and it runs every ammo I feed it. The slide operates very very smooth, yet the barrel seems as if a powerful suction pulls the lugs up into the slide when you cycle it slowly by hand.

Durability.. I have 1200 rounds down the pipe with no show of wear. I have taken 13 mags fully loaded and run them back to back rapid fire. It is built like it is carved out of a solid chunk of steel. I'm pretty sure you won't have an issue with that.

Probably best if you just call Luke and discuss what you want . He will tell you how he builds them and more so, you will get a sense of what kind of person you are dealing with. He's a trustworthy guy, will bend over backward to make you happy and he is there for you anytime after the sale.

I highly recommend him as evidenced by my second order from him.

One other thing... you won't find a better trigger...anywhere
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Given you are deployed you might want to email him to ask him questions. Luke is good about getting back in touch.

I placed a Combat Carry on order in late January. I recall the wait at that time for a custom build as 7 to 8 months depending on options. $1000 will get you on the wait queue.

There is a "Meet the Smiths" interview with Luke on
    http://www.personalarmament.com/2010...view-1911.html
    that I found to be quite informative.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 20th March 2012 at 22:11.

Posts liked by others
    been gone for a long time life got in the way.

My Volkmann has over 2,000 rounds and not one issue of any type. it has been bullet proof so to speak.

call or e-mail Luke, discuss what you want and do not want and have him build it. I went with his opinion on several items. some items are personal preference get what you like.

steve

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker08
    I am looking at picking up a Volkmann after I get back from my deployment. I haven't found alot of information about them. I was wondering if they a reliable and able to stand up to hard use?
    Thank you for your service. I think a lot of people will tell you how well his pistols run. I have owned several custom 1911s over the last few years and his are without a doubt the smoothest running and most accurate that I have experienced. As far as what "smooth" means you'll just have to shoot one to understand. The fit and finish is exceptional. Like the others above I have put over a thousand rounds thru mine without a problem. This includes over 300 rounds of 3 different types of hollow points. I don't think that any of our experiences could be categorized as "hard use" so that is a tough question to answer.

I agree with the others above. Call him and ask him some questions. He is an outstanding person to deal with. Very down to earth and helpful.

Posts liked by others
    Phfft. I shot 1,000 rounds in three days at Thunder Ranch:

I carry this pistol everywhere I go. I've had it about a year and probably have close to 7,000 rounds down the pipe. I shoot the heck out of it and work it hard, roll on the ground, pick it up from the dirt and shoot it, shove it in and out of kydex in IDPA and Steel Challenge. Its got scratches and blemishes all over it and runs like a Swiss watch.

I visit Luke every couple months and he is a great guy. He's currently building me a competition 9mm with TWO slides - one with his new Battlehook sights and the other with a red dot milled into the slide, both fit to the same frame with custom finishes and gold etching.

Luke's pistols are worth every penny.

Posts liked by others

Icon17

Tanker:

I don't own a Volkmann personally (would love to), but if Jeff says they're good; you can take it to the bank!

I used to be a tanker myself a long time ago; 2nd/69th attached to the 197th Infantry Brigade, out of Harmony Church at Ft. Benning.

Thank you for your service my friend!

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 2nd July 2012 at 22:19.

Posts liked by others
    Tanker,

I'm so sorry I did not thank you for your service . Thank you.

Rick, thank you for the kind words. Coincidentally, Luke started building my Signature yesterday.

Since my post in March, the Combatant Carry just keeps amazing me.

The gun is so much better than me. However, I have learned some things about shooting a bobtail that have made my groups much much better. A bit close to the groups I could get shooting off a rest!

Probably not the right thread for this, but while I'm here I'll share a little.

I have very big hands and the bobtail hits me mid palm. My reaction to this different feel was to grip the gun extra tight. I found I was over gripping . By relaxing it a bit I got to shooting one ragged hole. My understanding is that a bobtail is less of an adjustment to guys with smaller hands.

I know, a little off subjecting that last paragraph, but it made such a big difference, I just had to comment in case you are considering a bobtail
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Caveats: fourth 1911 owned in 14 years, not forty-fourth like some aficionados. 2nd higher-end: first was a SA Professional. Other not-so-high-end but still enjoyable: Kimber Custom (early model, 1996) and Kimber Ultra CDP (one of the first, that functioned without trouble).

Last and not least is my Volkmann Combatant Carry, received last fall. Might be called the Combat Carry now. Whatever: 4.25" inch barrel, Commander-size. Various options specified through order form, and build commenced with deposit. Communication great throughout.

The CC is an *exquisite* pistol. Most noticeable feature of mine is NP3 coating. About a thousand rounds through, not a mark on it. Cleaned twice and I wonder if it needed to be. NP3 is a strangely magical substance that doesn't seem to need much oil, either. Zero FTFs or other issues. NP3 looks a bit weird, but then again I AM a bit weird, so hey: go with it! Attached photo captures the mild purple metallic-nickel look reasonably well.

For some reason, I shoot the CC better than my former SA Professional. This is not to knock the SA Pro; that, too, was a great pistol. Something different about the CC, though. Could be the loose nut behind the trigger (= me), though I once put 2,000 rounds through the SA Pro in a loooooong weekend ("Intensive Handgun" course, InSights) and still never got it quite right; it hammered me a bit.

Dif'rnt strokes for dif'rnt folks, or the Volkmann is just that much better: who knows. Not sure why a Commander size shoots so well, but it does for me. Magic, yet again.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 4th July 2012 at 00:03.

Posts liked by others
    Think the np3 looks very good

Glad you are enjoying it , congrats. I don't think I can go back now that Luke has set the hook. I'll just have to wait longer between guns. Although my thinking right now is I'm good to go for a while. But a 9mm 1911 is a possibility ....someday!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast