Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning! ebay deals

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Welcome aboard VetteInstruments. They say that knowledge comes with experience. From what I pick up, there is plenty of experience on this forum.

Posts liked by others

Wink 1911 Magazines

Nice to see alll the comments on magazines. There can be quite a bit of difference in quality that is for sure. I like the shooting star stainless mags and have quite a few of the Mec-Gar stainless mags . They seem to work well in all of my guns. Years ago i purchased some original GI mags in the paper. I feel they were well made for they feed also fine in my pistols. Thanks for the warning on the bad mags .

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce P.
    Please If you are in the market for a deal on magazines, stay far far away from reddalaskan's Custom factory magazines! I got duped big time.
    1 these i received had cracked feed lips that had been welded. NEW?
    2 Whoever welded them didnt hide it very well, and had to grind the right rear of the follower to clear the welg glob on the inside of the feed lips.
    3 all four of them have been reworked in the same way. All I have are new? magazine springs. The rest of the parts will recieve a proper burial. I can not in good concience return them. Someone else might wind up with them.
    Despite the warnings, I decided to bid on (and won) one of reddalaskan's auctions, that is, assuming that he is now going by "reddogxxalaskan". I was needing some spare magazines for my Officer's ACP and picked up three "new" stainless ones. I was very leery of them being "new", but figured they would make decent backups or spares. When they arrived, I compared them to my factory 70 and 80 Series mags. The bottoms appear to be factory colt, but nothing else does. The way the lip is cut and bent to retain the ammo is different, the cut in the rear (where you can see some of the primer on the top round) is cut differently and not centered, the front cut at the top is more rounded and a deeper cut, and the edges on the bottom are roughly and crudely buffed. It looks like these are factory Colt bottom plates rewelded onto aftermarket bodies. Where the welding was on these bottom plates, the edges have been rounded from sanding/polishing and are not crisp and sharp-edged like the factory ones I have. If they are "new", they are factory "seconds" that probably would have been destroyed at the factory. I tested each one, but can't give a good review of them, as my Officers ACP has been having some issues, lately. For what I picked them up for, though, I'd have paid about the same at a gun show, for non-factory blued instead of stainless, so I'm not complaining, too much. Since my gun is matte finished, I'm thinking of bead blasting the bottom plates and painting them a flat black. At least one of them should make for a decent backup mag and the others will be range-only mags. I may opt to replace these with factory mags at a later date, though.
    70 Series Gold Cup (blued)
    80 Series Goverment (brushed stainless)
    80 Series Officers (matt black)
    Last edited by Kramer Krazy; 9th December 2004 at 08:51.

Posts liked by others
    What you probably have is cheap "Chineese" knock-offs at best. Glad you confirmed what we all know. The guy is a crock, pure and simple. I doubt anyone would take the time to reweld plates on the mags. Not hardly worth it for the price they go for. Long term I think it is cheaper to buy a few quality mags, your life may depend on it.
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."
    - LtCol. Jeff Cooper as quoted in Guns & Ammo magazine, January 2002

Posts liked by others

Red face Need Viewers Input

Gentlemen,

I have a question on the Colt magazine issue. The one Colt mag i have which came with the Mark IV Series 80 in stainless has Colt on the bottom but also has the picture of the horse. I have other mags which state Colt 45 but no horse picture. I guess what i am saying is that the origianal Colt mags should have the horse logo on it ??????, unless of course they are being counterfeitted as well. The follower in the mag says shooting star.
    I agree with another post by roberbank that the fact is mags are really not that expensive and to buy good ones from Wilson and others is the only way to go. The problems and then the mind set that is it going to feed this time or jam is not worth dealing with. The Mec-Gar mags (stainless) made in Italy are some of the smoothest i have when the follower is depressed. I guess in today's world we do have to watch for things like this(counterfeit) I have purchased many items off of e-bay (by sending a cashier's check) and so far have not been burned. It only takes one event to change our mindset and that is sad since most of the dealers are honest.

Posts liked by others

cottontoptexan

The **** mags I got from redogg all had "Colt" written on them, several had the horse. None were "Colt" mags and that is for sure. I too have bought mags and other gear on ebay with no complaints. Peronally I have decided to stick with CMC Power Mags in either 8 or 7 rd configiration or the Metalform which I here great things about (For my 9mm). May cost a little more but worth it IMHO. I have also used MegGar in my Para P-14 (sold to my son) with great results. Knock offs is a problem in darn near every consumer product these days. Guess it really comes down to buying from a reputable dealer and knowing that you seldom get something for nothing. Interestingly, I have never had a problem with the very cheap Norinco mags that came with the guns and they work fine in my Para as well. There is a guy on ebay who sells the Argentine Military mags or they are claimed to be. They are awfull and not worth buying, as I found out the hard way.
    " Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair."

Posts liked by others

Browning Mags

I joined this site about 2 weeks too late....
    I bought 2 Pacmayr Hi Power mags from this guy. They have to be PRYED out of the pistol. I contacted him and he is supposed to be sending me 5 other ones that he assures me will work. I'll see I guess.

Posts liked by others
    Yes and they will be junk too. Did the same thing for me. Hope you posted a negative feedback.

Posts liked by others
    Thought I'd add some more info on my "New Colt" mags. I went to the gun show in Charlotte, NC on Saturday and found some of the same mags for sale there. All of them had the "Colt 45ACP" and the horse on them. All of them had the same differences and ****** quality compared to the actual factory mags I have. Also, of interest, none of them were in a factory packaging or any packaging at all. The actual Colt mags I ran across that were new were in the original packaging, and were $25-$30 each. The cheapo copies were listed at.....$19.95!!!!
    70 Series Gold Cup (blued)
    80 Series Goverment (brushed stainless)
    80 Series Officers (matt black)

Posts liked by others

Reddogalaskan

I got burned on a .400 Cor-bon barrel from reddogalaskan. I waited and waited but it never arrived. I emailed ebay and him twice, and eventually got my money refunded. The guy said he simply overlooked my purchase in his book. After reading your replies I know he wasn't on the up and up now. I'll never buy anything from him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast