Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got it over with

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just got it over with

There has been a Clint Smith combat custom sitting in a gun shop for the last few weeks. I knew it was just a matter of time so today i "pulled the trigger". Really nice trigger and the fit and finish is as good as some Wilson Supergrades I have. Tomorrow is break in day.

EB

Posts liked by others
    OHHhhhhhhhh !

You are going to like this baby. Can't wait til we hear back from you. I have a combatant carry, and if I still have my job at the end of the month, I'll be ordering another Volkmann.

There is a difference in Lukes guns... they are built with love.

Please post pics of your masterpiece when you can.

Happy shooting,

J
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    EDB, we are waiting for your range report and photos.

Posts liked by others
    +1 It's been like 14 hours

Seriously, hope you are having fun today
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    OK - 300 rounds of assorted 230gr factory hardball later....

The new Volkmann runs as advertised. I had two FTF's during my session with some really marginal Armscor ammo - both were nose down and quickly remedied with a TRA drill. I'm not sure what material the jacket is made out of with the Armscor ammo, but it seems prone to hang up on the ramp. I've had an occasional issue like this when shooting this ammo with all my 1911's so I'm chalking it up to ammo quality. Everything else was great.

I'm new to the Heinie straight eight sights and was all over the place for a few mags. Once I got the hang of it, I was shooting ragged holes. Great gun, kind of wishing it had the Ion Bond rather than the rock coat finish, but its in my gun safe and not going anywhere.

Posts liked by others
    Hey EDB!

Thanks for the report. The gun is beautiful. I opted for the heinie ledge rear site , all black. Am considering straight 8 on next one. Would be interested in knowing what initial challenges were with it as I've never tried them.

Thanks for the report. Nice pistol!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing11
    Hey EDB!

Thanks for the report. The gun is beautiful. I opted for the heinie ledge rear site , all black. Am considering straight 8 on next one. Would be interested in knowing what initial challenges were with it as I've never tried them.

Thanks for the report. Nice pistol!
    At first, I was focusing too much on the rear sight dot, trying to make a perfect snowman. Once I just zeroed in on the front sight things got better. The other thing with this pistol is the short trigger. I have mediums on all my other guns and I think I was off center on my trigger pull at first too. At any rate, after a few mags I was putting holes where I wanted them.

There is something "softer" about this gun than my other customs. I have a Wilson tactical LE with a rail and bull barrel that I considered to be my softest shooting .45. The wilson feels heavier (I guess I should weigh them to see), but the Volkmann feels softer with the same ammo. I did some rapid fire drills and made nice groups at max speed (for me). I'm not a diagnostician so I can't really explain what' going on. Just reporting the news.

EB

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by EDB
    At first, I was focusing too much on the rear sight dot, trying to make a perfect snowman. Once I just zeroed in on the front sight things got better. The other thing with this pistol is the short trigger. I have mediums on all my other guns and I think I was off center on my trigger pull at first too. At any rate, after a few mags I was putting holes where I wanted them.

There is something "softer" about this gun than my other customs. I have a Wilson tactical LE with a rail and bull barrel that I considered to be my softest shooting .45. The wilson feels heavier (I guess I should weigh them to see), but the Volkmann feels softer with the same ammo. I did some rapid fire drills and made nice groups at max speed (for me). I'm not a diagnostician so I can't really explain what' going on. Just reporting the news.

EB
    H

Strange you should mention that, I felt the same about mine when I shot it first time. You are right it is hard to explain but the gun runs ultra smooth and recoil felt softer and much more controllable and less muzzle flip. I do not understand why it would feel so much better, but it did.

I had long triggers and went to a medium on my Volkmann . It took me a while to get used to, but I really don't care for the look of a long solid trigger on a commander sized gun. It took a little grip adjustment but it feels natural after about 1000 rounds.

Enjoy it man. I don't think I can go back to anything else.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Big congrats on the new Volkmann, I'm truly envious of you!!

Luke's reputation for making amazing weapons is well deserved, he's the next Big Dog in custom 1911's, and a rising star to put it mildly.

Posts liked by others
    Put another 300 rounds through the CS combat yesterday. 3 boxes of 230gr hardball and 3 boxes of jhp's. No failures, great session. Time to strip and clean with 600 break in rounds through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast