Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polymer Frame

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I think it's pretty cool myself. I wonder how the weight compares to current alloy models. I've had alloy framed 1911's crack at the slide stop. The polymer should be more durable than aluminum.
    "A fully loaded pistol is useless to the man who has an empty magazine between the ears."- Louis Awerbuck

Posts liked by others
    It's been a while since I've seen anything, but if I recall correctly I remember their reputation being stellar. Also a pricey pistol at the time.

Interesting development nontheless.

LHS

Posts liked by others
    I saw it at SHOT. Looked good to me, slide/frame fit seemed good and smooth. I thought it was nicely appointed and finished. I'd compare it to a mainstream $6-800 gun, but nothing fancy.

Here's what the RRA literature says:

5 inch, 1:16 twist SS barrel, polymer frame w/ optional interchangeable colors, polymer main spring housing w/ optional colors, 4140 steel billet frame insert, 4140 steel billet slide, rubber overmolded grips, beavertail grip safety, commander hammer, 4.5 lb trigger pull, polymer shoed trigger, RRA dovetail front and rear sights, parkerized finish, includes one 7-round magazine, weight 2.04 lbs.
    Check www.rockriverarms.com for additional information.

As far as "why polymer" I'll "ask why not?"

I sure wish they'd bring their original line of 1911s back. I have one like it a lot.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    once they offer a railed version i am in.

Posts liked by others
    Has anyone heard if the June introduction is still holding?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    End of June is what their PR people told me a week ago. We'll see.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I received an email from Amy at RRA stating they do not have pricing nor a production date set for the poly.

Posts liked by others
    I could see this pistol in Commander size as a possible carry weapon.

Posts liked by others
    Why is pretty easy to answer. Its lighter, polymer is easier and cheaper to produce, its durable, and its shock absorbing so recoil should be better than an equal weight pistol of metal construction. There are so many polymer guns now that work just fine, there is no reason the 1911 can't be adopted to do the same. Also, if they offer a commander length I would say it could be an easy thing to buy an officers length grip frame and you could easily switch between the two for much less than buying two pistols. All of the benefits of JMB design remain intact even if evil polymer is used.

Posts liked by others

Question update???

Would really be interested in checking one out. Any updated time frames on production?
    "If you have nothing to die for, what do you have to live for?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast