Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt Mustang Pocketlite Review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Mustang Pocketlite Review

Our review of the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite, by Hunter Elliott, has been posted in the e-zine here

Please use this thread to ask questions and to discuss the review.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 31st January 2012 at 22:37.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Hunter's Review

As usual, Hunter provides another excellent range test and review accompanied with professional crisp clear images.

I have an original never fired NIB Pocketlite. I guess it's value has taken a nose dive.
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Very good review, lot of rounds out, no problems, very accurate, good pics.

Posts liked by others

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D
    As usual, Hunter provides another excellent range test and review accompanied with professional crisp clear images.

I have an original never fired NIB Pocketlite. I guess it's value has taken a nose dive.
    Does that mean you are looking to re-home your little NIB Mustang Pocketlight?
    -Bea

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Our review of the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite, by Hunter Elliott, has been posted in the e-zine here

Please use this thread to ask questions and to discuss the review.
    Fabulous job on the review Hunter! Great photos and a very informative write up. Now I KNOW what my next must have gun is. Gotta get me a Mustang!!!
    -Bea

Posts liked by others
    Great review Hunter and fantastic pics, especially the progressive physical size differences within the smaller pistol family. I really like the fact that you cycled various types of ammo and didn't limit your test to only a handful of rounds.

What I also found relevant and interesting, is that (Meghan) an inexperienced shooter was involved. This is important, because this type of pistol has a broad audience; Ladies, Gentlemen, experienced and novice shooters, old & young.

A couple of points I would have found beneficial are:
    1) How hard is the slide to rack? I would actually like Meghan's perspective on this. My wife has a P232 and stopped carrying it because the slide was too hard for her to rack, especially with CTC laser grips installed. So, she opted for an Airweight 642 instead, but still has a ton of fun on the range with her P232.
    2) Curious to know if there are any aftermarket stocks available? Since lasers and CTC laser grips in particular are wildly popular with concealable size pistols, it would be interesting to know if they affect slide racking.

What I'm even more interested to know is how the Colt compares to the Sig P238; which IMO is probably its targeted competitor. Again, this would be a very interesting comparison from both an experienced and not so experienced shooter.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by C1911
    What I'm even more interested to know is how the Colt compares to the Sig P238; which IMO is probably its targeted competitor. Again, this would be a very interesting comparison from both an experienced and not so experienced shooter.
    If Hunter has ever shot a P238 I'll let him respond to the comparison part of your question. I do know that M1911.ORG has never received a P238 for testing, not has the idea of testing one ever been discussed in-house.

The P238 was introduced three years ago at the SHOT Show in Orlando. I was there and I saw it, and I got myself chewed out by a SIG representative because I immediately recognized it as a clone of the Mustang and took the display pistol apart in their booth to prove to myself that it is what it is. In both size and mechanics, the P238 is essentially a Colt Mustang, with the exterior carved out to "make it look like a SIG," just as SIG did when they introduced 1911s to their lineup.

Since they are mechanically the same, I have no doubt that they would shoot about the same. Personally, I don't care for the appearance of the SIG so there's no chance I might ever buy one. If the new Colt Mustang were available in all steel I would already have bought one. As it is, I have to keep looking for a used one in blued steel -- and it seems whenever I look, all I can find are Pocketlites.

I don't really think it's accurate to call the P238 the "targeted competitor" for the Mustang. First, the Mustang came first; I know it has been unavailable for several years, but I still think it's a bit of a stretch to describe a product that came first as targeting a similar product that copied it. Secondly, I don't think the new Mustang "targets" any specific competing pistol. The reality is that there is a huge and seemingly ever-expanding market today for pocket pistols chambered in .380 Automatic. I think Colt just saw the market trend and said, "Hey! We have one of those -- let's start selling it again."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 1st February 2012 at 15:43.

Posts liked by others
    Great review Hunter and nice photos.

I'm glad to see Colt bring this gun back. I'm not a big fan of .380s, but as a hideout/backup gun in the summer months this little beauty sure beats a .25 auto and a stern look.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Thank you all for the kind words.
    Hawkmoon is right, I have never fired the Sig but Meghan had no trouble with the Mustang though she struggled a bit with my full size Colt.
    I will agree the .380 Automatic is not an idea defensive caliber but with new bullet technology such as the Hornday Critical Defense it sure closes the gap.
    Last edited by Hunter; 1st February 2012 at 17:52.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Since they are mechanically the same, I have no doubt that they would shoot about the same. I don't really think it's accurate to call the P238 the "targeted competitor" for the Mustang. First, the Mustang came first; I know it has been unavailable for several years, but I still think it's a bit of a stretch to describe a product that came first as targeting a similar product that copied it. Secondly, I don't think the new Mustang "targets" any specific competing pistol. The reality is that there is a huge and seemingly ever-expanding market today for pocket pistols chambered in .380 Automatic. I think Colt just saw the market trend and said, "Hey! We have one of those -- let's start selling it again."
    Perhaps the overwhelming general public that's only interested in a pocket-pistol will never compare the two. But, that certainly won't be the case for actual 1911 enthusiasts. Those of us obsessed with the 1911 will naturally compare the two and they will indeed go head-to-head to compete for our ownership.

Colt will always be my front-runner, but they did leave the door open and Sig walked right through it. Whether or not Colt relaunched the Mustang to target the 238; well, only Colt really knows the answer to that. Either way, there's little doubt in my mind that they will indeed battle each other for those of us most interested in owning a mini-like 1911.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast