Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CABOT at SHOT, 1st impressions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason8844
    I recently had a chance to examine one of the Cabot pistols for myself. The first thing you notice is the finish. It is literally perfect and looks great. The problem I had was with the pistol it is applied too. The pistol seems cold and lifeless due to its perfection.
    Jason, what I find most compelling about your review, is that you acknowledge a trait in which you don't particularly desire in a 1911, which is perfection. I get it and think I can fully appreciate what your attempting to express. Analogies aside, many of us gravitate to Colts because of their character, history and emotional ties. Therefore, when we view for instance, an old Colt 1911, we can almost feel its personality as though it has spirit and life.

Where as the Cabot is so well machined, it doesn't necessarily exude that same degree of emotion, spirit and liveliness. However, for those who seek perfection, the Cabot may well indeed speak to them in the same manner as a traditional 1911 may speak to some of us.

Although the Cabot isn't within my budget, I'd jump at a chance to own one if I could. I think the more we expand our enthusiasm for 1911's, we sometimes have a tendency to venture beyond just having a safe full of Colts and Colt like clones. I think its important not to view a Cabot 1911 as a Colt and just simply appreciate that they're attempting to build a perfect Colt inspired 1911; and if that's their true goal, judging by your own observations, they may have achieved it.
    Last edited by C1911; 27th January 2012 at 21:25.

Posts liked by others

Interesting

When I saw the first pictures of the Cabot guns nothing stirred in me. I took at face value all the claims of mechanical perfection but the guns just didn't "rig my chimes" so to speak. The looked too sharp and too edgy to me and that's where I left it. The newer models appeal to me more but they are still lacking what the French call the "je ne sais quois". They are just too machine like.

By contrast, when I look at one of Ted Yost's pieces the opposite is true. They seem to have life. I look at them repeatedly and see something different and marvelous every time. It's like looking at a fine painting or one of the master's black and white photographs. The best ones grab me in somewhat of an emotional way.

This doesn't detract from the Cabot guns at all they are just different and don't have that mysterious appeal.
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by hercster
    When I saw the first pictures of the Cabot guns nothing stirred in me. I took at face value all the claims of mechanical perfection but the guns just didn't "rig my chimes" so to speak. The looked too sharp and too edgy to me and that's where I left it. The newer models appeal to me more but they are still lacking what the French call the "je ne sais quois". They are just too machine like.

By contrast, when I look at one of Ted Yost's pieces the opposite is true. They seem to have life. I look at them repeatedly and see something different and marvelous every time. It's like looking at a fine painting or one of the master's black and white photographs. The best ones grab me in somewhat of an emotional way.

This doesn't detract from the Cabot guns at all they are just different and don't have that mysterious appeal.

This is a very honest impression,which I can definitely appreciate.

But I disagree in one area,which I admit,is subjective.

Out of all the 1911's that I have handled over the years,one of the things I find DO find appealing IS the perfection.

For some,it may seem to lack soul.BUT,after meeting and working closely with some of the staff at CABOT,I find the quest for perfection to be a trademark with their entire product line(and that includes PENN UNITED TECHNOLOGIES as well ).
    They strive for innovation in many ways,but their quest for "perfection" and innovation in firearms production is one reason a CABOT GUN is on my "bucket list" .

DAT85
    Last edited by DAT85; 18th February 2012 at 08:59.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason8844
    I enjoy the looks I get with my 69 Camaro and if you put my Camaro side by side with a top if the line BMW, I promise you my car will turn more heads. Although the BMW costs more, has more technology and made with modern tooling, the Camaro will connect with people more for various reasons.
    For starters, your 69 Camaro will turn more heads because they don't make 69 Camaro's any more. Haven't made them for 43 years actually. Brings back memories for many of us baby boomers, though I prefer the cleaner lines of the 67 I used to own. New BMW's are pretty common and don't turn heads. I have a new 535i and it replaced a 535i. First time I bought the same car twice in a row since 1972 which tells you how I like driving it, whether it turns heads or not.
    Stephen

NRA Benefactor Life Member

www.sarasohn.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12