Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 45acp ccu

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

45acp ccu

i took a ccu rifle and made a pistol out of it by removing the welded on stock and cutting 4 in's. off the barrel. now it is a 18 in. long pistol. i add a essex or kimber lower to it and it becomes a firearm. i added a barrel shroud and light rail. no iron sights, just a red dot or a 3x9 scope, and a light/laser. i have a picture but cannot post it .
    he who is ARMED never walks alone,
    1911 OWNER/OPERATOR
    BROWNING: NEXT BEST THING TO A 1911

Posts liked by others
    ???

It "became" a firearm? What was it before? What is a "ccu rifle"?

And are you sure you created a pistol, and not an illegal short-barrel rifle?

Why can't you post photos? All members can post photos. And I think a couple of photos are needed here.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Carbine Conversion Unit such as this http://www.mechtechsys.com/ . Basically take a pistol and turn it into a rifle not sure if there are any legal issues being that the base gun is still a pistol there inst a max barrel length for pistols is there?

Posts liked by others
    From the manufactures FAQ.
    "Is is legal to convert the CCU back to the original pistol?

Yes. The BATFE recently published a ruling which clarifies this - here is the link: http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2011-4.pdf

There has been a lot of missinformation circulating to the effect that once the pistol lower has been asembled to a rifle configuration then converting back to the pistol constitutes 'making a pistol from a rifle' and thereby placing the pistol into the SBR (short barrelled rifle) class. Not so. Please see our Forum for even further clarification. It is the first post on the Forum so you don't have to spend time trying to find it."
    Last edited by subsforeverwrx; 20th January 2012 at 03:59.

Posts liked by others
    I agree with Hawkmoon. I'm not an attorney, but I can read. I don't see where the BATF says you can chop the stock and some of the barrel off and be legal. It says you can use the pistol lower with the ccu upper to make a rifle and you can remove the lower and put the pistol back together. Am I missing the part where it says you can chop the ccu upper into a pistol/short-barreled rifle and still be legal?
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    ???

It "became" a firearm? What was it before? What is a "ccu rifle"?

And are you sure you created a pistol, and not an illegal short-barrel rifle?

Why can't you post photos? All members can post photos. And I think a couple of photos are needed here.
    East Texan By Birth 'n Choice
    USMC 1967-1970
    Viet Nam Vet

SASS #63711
    Last edited by Hoss Fly; 20th January 2012 at 19:06.

Posts liked by others
    Definably something that one should check with there attorney on. The lower in of itself is considered a firearm if I recall correctly. Would need clarification on if the ccu upper counts as a firearm in of it self or if its modified before installation by cutting off the butt stock and shortening the barrel some would make it no different than a long barrel upgrade on the original pistol. Also does it have a fore grip that would definitely put it in an illegal category.

Regardless of what I say you would need to consult with an attorney about the legality of your modifications
    Last edited by subsforeverwrx; 20th January 2012 at 20:32.