Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Rock River Mainspring housings MIM?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Rock River Mainspring housings MIM?

Does any one know if Rock River mainspring housings are MIM? I picked up an arched mainspring housing from Smith and Alexander a while back to add to one of my 1911's a while back. When I took it to my gunsmith he told me it was a MIM part. MIM might not make a difference to a lot of people, but I've always been told to not mix MIM with tool steel parts. If the gun has MIM in it to keep all the parts MIM ect. So if anyone knows the answer that would be a great help. I hate flat mainspring housings because they just don't fit my hand right. Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    I don't think RRA's mainspring housings are MIM. They were pretty vocal about how they were able to machine checker their arched mainspring housings, which is quite a trick to pull-off (three mixed curves are involved).

I really don't get why it would be a problem to 'mix MIM with tool steel parts', though, and I'd be a little suspect of a 'smith who doesn't want to use S&A mainspring housings. Very few 1911 makers out there don't use MIM parts and those using them (i.e. nearly everybody) invariably mix them with machined parts. Even EGW's George Smith (whose company doesn't sell MIM MSHs) has stated that "The mainspring housing is the perfect MIM part".
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 19th January 2012 at 16:32.

Posts liked by others
    but I've always been told to not mix MIM with tool steel parts. If the gun has MIM in it to keep all the parts MIM ect
    welp, I'd suggest "you've always been told" wrong

no reason to be concerned about a MIM MSH

For that matter , many 1911 manufactures use plastic MSH
    Colt, Para, Kimber all use plastic MSH on at least some of their 1911s

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info guys! Here in washington state we have a few well known gunsmiths that HATE MIM parts. The two gunsmiths I know like to hone out the MSH when they do their action jobs so the hammer strut and spring aren't dragging on any burs in side. That is why they have always insisted on non-MIM. I've been shooting 1911s for a long while now, and i personally do not care for MIM parts or plastic. The first thing I do with my guns is have a smith pull the MIM parts and clean up the action.

Any way thank you for the information.
    Last edited by ArmyIKE; 19th January 2012 at 22:29.

Posts liked by others
    Technically, MIM parts don't really have burrs, because they have little or no machining after coming out of the mold. They may have casting/molding lines or other imperfections.

It's machined parts that may have burrs... not that this is an argument against them, I'm just saying, is all.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyIKE
    The first thing I do with my guns is have a smith pull the MIM parts and clean up the action.
    I can dig that, Ike
    I "used" to feel the same way .
    and whenever I do change a part, it's generally always a better tool steel/bar stock replacement ..but after 10's of thousands of rnds thru MIM filled pistols without MIM part failure, my concerns are much less than they used to be

Don't think I'd want a MIM extractor, but for some parts, (MSH being one of them) it's no concern at all to "me" now .

I was commenting on the "don't mix" parts you were told as somehow being "wrong"

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    I have a para P14.45 that is mostly MIM and have had a popo ton of rounds through it also (ever notice how the double stack para guns run better than the single stacks?).

Any way, I am thankful for all the information I can find here. You two have been a big help thank you.