Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cylinder & Slide 100th Anniversary Reproduction, part 2

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Nice Repo! This inspires me to build one in Adamantium! lol

Posts liked by others
    Just joined this forum today, and while I generally hate to bump old threads, I felt the need to comment on the C&S repro as it is hands down the most gorgeous 1911 I have ever seen. I can only dream of ever getting the chance to own such a masterpiece.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 1855 View Post
    It's here. Picked up C&S Heritage 1911 #3 this evening. This one was in the first production run from about 2 weeks ago (pre SHOT).

The photos don't begin to do it justice. I'll try again when I have more time and can arrange for a proper portrait and then full family photos.

One can say that the expense was just a bit over the top, can't argue with that. But to handle this masterpiece of metal makes it all worthwhile. If you've ever had the pleasure of talking to Bill Laughridge you can appreciate his enthusiasm and passion for the 1911 design; he smiles under the mustache and his eyes sparkle with the understanding and knowledge of a true master of the craft. He and his team of artisans have poured their hearts and souls into these creations. All I can do is express my gratitude to them and be thankful that I was willing and at the time reasonably flush (not so much anymore) to the point of being able to write the check.

Last that I knew there were about 80 guns sold, that's about 20 weeks of production. Art takes time, patience is a virtue. Not sure if there are others on this forum that have a pistol coming but if you do I'd sure like to hear from you. PM is probably the best, your choice.

There's been conversation that there would be other C&S recreations of Browning's designs. Not sure exactly what the next will be or cost but #3 is already reserved.

Jim

Jim's Repro

Bill's Repro #1
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

Thanks for this experience Jim, congrats on your beautiful Queen!!!

I am a fan too, and no way I would buy a modern loose rattle repro from Colt - unless a genuine one, which were apparently pretty well finished and fit. Could you confirm if and perhaps expand on how this C&S Repro is actually fit, generally, and in particular tell us if it is any loose, what kind of slide-to-frame play, and barrel-to-bushing, barrel lock-up in slide, and eventually the general fit of the gun. Indeed, I have heard that the first few hundreds, even up to 3,000 or so were particularly well assembled, including a pretty remarkable fit.

Just one downside point of the C&S version, and it is pretty much the only one, but quite visible - it appears, on all copies I have seen, that "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" stamped in big font as were the 500 first, is rarely, if ever centered between the edge of the dustcover and the tip of the slide stop, AND the size of the font is much bigger than the actual original. In fact I was also surprised to discover that the first issued 1911 pistols were bearing 3 different font sizes on the left side of the gun as it shows on the below photos, compared to later issues where size had been aligned homogeneously. On Bill laughridge's version (Bill's Repro #1) that John shot at the Shot (Show) ;-), the font is bigger than the original, but on yours (Jim's Repro), not only bigger, but also not "centered". Being a true talented and perfectionist 1911 builder in the industry, I wonder how that was possibly possible - Did you notice that, and did Bill say anything about it?

-> Check this link from RIA Auction where they were selling an authentic one Bill might have based, among others, his tremendous research work on (also added the pics here for quick reference):
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/53/lid/3131

UNITED STATES PROPERTY

Last edited by Darimian; 3rd March 2015 at 17:13.

Posts liked by others
    Darimian & all,

OK, OK I'll post more photos. It's a hard gun to photograph, the surfaces are so smooth and well polished that the camera picks up everything and the rag used to wipe it down leaves lint everywhere even if it is supposed to be "lint free".

Fit & finish. Well, it is bar none the finest that I have ever seen. Others that know 1911s have agreed to that as well and it was a knowledgeable friend that offered the final comment that moved me from shooting to not shooting. I really dislike the term "queen" as the connotation is generally somewhat derogatory, more towards the owner's assessment of their treasure than the actual treasure, but whatever.

The assembly is properly tight w/o being overly so. I have not disassembled but have cycled the action and dry fired many times. I have another full sized C&S built from Caspian components that is a no-tool takedown gun. The Anniversary is tighter than that one but certainly not as tight as a new Les Baer, nor would I expect it to be. I'm sure that if I decided to fire it the functioning would be perfect from round one to thousands; this one needs no "breaking in". I have been invited to shoot a shop gun, perhaps Bill's own, all I need to do is make the day trek from Michigan to Nebraska. I may have opportunity to do that this summer. The fit from one mating surface to another is perfect although being built by man, subtle changes creep in. Character I say, without adding the inappropriate "flaws".

Give me a few days and I'll warm up the photofloods to try another pass at proper imagery.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Great, cheers Jim!

No offence at all about this "Q" term I used just because it's not my mother tongue and I have read many times in forums that guns called like that are often jewels, but you are perfectly right, more in the owner's own taste, than objectively. It also tends to show others' appreciation of the gun in question when not called by the owner themselves.

I can only agree with you on the fact that, in this particular case of the C&S early 1911 Repro, it is objectively a real piece of art. To be honest with you, I haven't held any in my hands, but I feel from the pictures, especially the close-ups of small parts such as the hammer, grip safety, rear sight, etc. and from the polish, that it is close to visual and mechanical gunsmithing perfection. It reminds me of my SIG P210s - see pics below.

This said, here's a tip about taking your pictures:
    1. go for close-up mode if you've got one
    2. avoid wide-angle which deforms perspective and actual proportions
    3. best is 50mm or equivalent, in close-up, and YOU move to adjust distance, you do not zoom
    4. if you really have to zoom, only above 50mm, i.e. tele obj. zooming, no wide angle zooming
    5. natural daylight only, preferably bright, but indirect, no direct sun light obviously, and if direct light, against a blue sky
    6. take as many shots as it takes until you like what you see on your computer, the small camera screen will fool you

Last edited by Darimian; 3rd March 2015 at 18:29.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123