Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder & Slide 100th Anniversary Reproduction, part 2

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Cylinder & Slide 100th Anniversary Reproduction, part 2

I received a call from Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide that my pistol was about ready to ship. I'm just waiting for the final invoice so I can send the payment (a boatload of cash) and it will ship. I might have it the week of 1/23 but business commitments may require a week or two delay. Mine is in the first batch completed, gun #3.

This has been a long time coming, I think I placed my order in December of 2010. Bill has been really great about sending periodic status updates of the trials and tribulations of building an accurate reproduction of the original 1911 design. He's been just a bit persnickety about the quality, fit, finish and historic accuracy of the pistol.

I will post photos when I can. Probably during the first week of February.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/reproduction.shtml

BTW, I do plan to shoot it, occasionally.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 1855
    Mine is in the first batch completed, gun #3.
    Although this pistol is above my reach, I've been admiring it since the beginning of its creation. The time and effort that C&S has put into this pistol to replicate authenticity is astounding. My heartbeat increases just looking at pictures of that pistol; so it's hard for me to even imagine how difficult it must be to maintain composure for those in anticipation of actually owning one.

I'm excited for you Jim and I hope you'll share your thoughts once you've had an opportunity to get acquainted with #3. Those C&S Centennial pistols are so special, that I'm convinced they'll never again be duplicated to that degree in my lifetime.

Posts liked by others
    I also can't wait to see it!!! C&S hit a home run with this gun!!! Nobody else even came close with there repo's. If it was mine i think i would only handle it wearing white gloves and not touch it with my bare skin .

Posts liked by others

Icon16

I admire those who can obtain a weapon such as this, for it is so far out of reach for me, I can only dream about owning one. For an avid collector who needs one of these to complete or enhance the collection, I can understand not wanting to fire the weapon or use gloves to handle it.

At my level of collection, the weapon is for enjoying on the range. Don't get me wrong, if I could obtain one of these fine weapons I would, but, It would make many trips to the range.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!

Posts liked by others
    Well let's see. I plan to shoot it a bit. I can't physically shoot much anyway due to wrist damage but will run a round or two downrange with this one. It won't, however, see the inside of a holster and I might finally make use of the, to date useless, wood display case I received with my Baer SRP

As far as handling it with white gloves well that would be sacrilege, kind of like caressing your wife with rubber gloves, how crass! Part of the appeal of the 1911 design is the stunning lines, the transition between the polished sides and the matte center, the crisp but not sharp edges; all must be enjoyed with bare hands.

But if it is yours, do as you please, this one's mine and I intend to enjoy it and share the experience with friends.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Yeah i hear you!!! Forget about the gloves!!!

Posts liked by others
    Wow Jim 1855, that's really nice. Have fun with it.

Posts liked by others
    I have seen the light.

I met Bill Laughridge at SHOT the other day and saw the Heritage gun. Yup it's cool! Way cool!

Stunning on steroids would just begin to describe this piece. The blue is deep but a bit lighter and much brighter than what we see with current production blueing processes.

The artists at C&S have mastered the polishing process, surfaces are smooth, the matte areas are subtle and the transition lines are distinct and straight. There's not a sharp machined edge to cut or snag, all edges are crisp and proper.

The walnut grips are really pretty. Now I’m not a double diamond grip guy, just not my style but these are, well… different. There’s just something proper and old style about them, kinda like grandma’s home baked apple pie, they’re just right.

Now the sights are at least for me about perfect. Since I can’t see sights anyway, the original design as presented on this pistol works without getting in the way. They’re almost nonexistent and only offering a little pimple of a rise on the slide. I can feel ‘em but sure can’t see ‘em, there’s almost nothing to see.

Fit and finish is probably beyond what an original gun would have had. This one is tight and smooth but I would suspect that the very early original guns were built to a higher standard than the “war” versions that came a few years later.

Certainly there’s more but written descriptions don’t quite do this one justice or at least my prose can’t do it, maybe Hemingway could pull it off.

I did take a few photos with a current C&S Trident but cell phone pictures are just not right for this. Once I have my gun I will photo and post.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Bill Laughridge just left our booth at SHOT.

Did you know that the first guns shipped in January of 1912. So the first shipments of the C&S Heritage guns are just 100 years later. Perfect!

BTW, it get's prettier every time I see it.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    It's here. Picked up C&S Heritage 1911 #3 this evening. This one was in the first production run from about 2 weeks ago (pre SHOT).

The photos don't begin to do it justice. I'll try again when I have more time and can arrange for a proper portrait and then full family photos.

One can say that the expense was just a bit over the top, can't argue with that. But to handle this masterpiece of metal makes it all worthwhile. If you've ever had the pleasure of talking to Bill Laughridge you can appreciate his enthusiasm and passion for the 1911 design; he smiles under the mustache and his eyes sparkle with the understanding and knowledge of a true master of the craft. He and his team of artisans have poured their hearts and souls into these creations. All I can do is express my gratitude to them and be thankful that I was willing and at the time reasonably flush (not so much anymore) to the point of being able to write the check.

Last that I knew there were about 80 guns sold, that's about 20 weeks of production. Art takes time, patience is a virtue. Not sure if there are others on this forum that have a pistol coming but if you do I'd sure like to hear from you. PM is probably the best, your choice.

There's been conversation that there would be other C&S recreations of Browning's designs. Not sure exactly what the next will be or cost but #3 is already reserved.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast