Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 80 firing pin block.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Series 80 firing pin block.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. My agency allows 1911s as alternate duty weapons if they have a firing pin block. I currently have a series 80 Commander, so I know it has one. I am looking at purchasing another 1911 and I am wondering what other manufacturers use this system. Several of our armorers and firearms instructors who are very knowledgeable state this is more durable than the Swartz system in the Kimber and S&W guns. I am not asking for a debate about whether that is true, just trying to find out who else uses the series 80 system.

Thanks for your help.

Posts liked by others
    ParaUSA, Auto-Ordnance/Kahr, Remington, Taurus and I think Sig, too. I feel like I'm forgetting someone...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    If forced to go with a FPS I would stick with a Colt and would consider reading the following:

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Duty-Use.html

Its good reading for anyone considering a hard use 1911 for duty.

Strange

Posts liked by others
    Having had some experience now and after a lot of thought, I'm with Hilton. The grip-safety-activated firing pin plungers sound like a good idea in theory, and had me leaning that direction for a while, but in practice there are just too many "gotchas." In fact, I've sold my pistols with the "Swartz-type" safeties, and will eschew any further purchase of one. A click when you expect a bang in a serious situation is the loudest, scariest sound in the world. No, thanks.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Jstrange, thanks. I read that too after a conversation with one of our armorers. Thanks for the info on the manufacturers. Para is on our list, so I may look at their stuff. I like my Colt, but unless you get into their top shelf stuff, you don't get dovetails, beavertails, etc. I appreciate the help.

Posts liked by others
    khiggins498:

Any of the Colt models in their XSE series of 1911's will have the features you want, and are very tightly fitted and accurate.

In the last couple of years I've bought two LW Commanders, a LW Government Model and a Combat Elite; all in the XSE series, and all for well under $1000.00 each.

In my estimation; the Colts are of better quality than all, and cheaper than some, of the other brands noted above.

Take care,

Rick

Posts liked by others
    I am not proposing that Colt is end all be all of 1911, but I do believe you get a lot for the money. Although I have never owned one I would be extremely leary of a Para for duty use. I have not read great things about their pistols surviving hard use.

A Colt gives you forged frame and slide and excellent small parts. I am no expert, but I don't see to many high end custom builds starting off with a Para as a base gun.... could be a clue YMMV.

Jstrange
    Last edited by jstrange; 31st January 2012 at 16:28.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrange
    I am not proposing that Colt is end all be all of 1911, but I do believe you get a lot for the money. Although I have never owned one I would be extremely leary of a Para for duty use. I have not read great things about their pistols surviving hard use.
    Last year, the only guns I saw on the SHOT show floor that had working firing pins, were the Para P14-45s on the duty belts of two LVPD officers...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    After doing a lot of research, I am inclined to agree. I am in the market for another steel framed Commander. I finally found the rear sight I have been looking for at Fusion Firearms, so I am confident I can build the Colt the way I want. Now I just need another Colt so I can have a backup if this one (God forbid) ends up in evidence for eternity. Thanks for the advice.

Posts liked by others
    If I were in your position, I would look hard at a Colt XSE 5". The newest version has an improved beavertail grip safety, and is a very good pistol for the price - if you can find one. For duty use, I don't see any advantage that a Commander size pistol offers. With all the other stuff hanging from your belt, the little weight that 3/4" of barrel and slide bring is insignificant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast