Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Stolen Baer Custom

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Stolen Baer Custom

Today, my Baer "Boss" 1911 was stolen from my vehicle - - range bag
    was covered up with a tarp and 2 shopping bags. Rear window broken out and the range bag (with the gun(natch), and six empty mags, my "ears, a Caspian M1911org multi-tool and other assorted stuff ) taken. Theft occurred near Elkridge, Maryland, at approx 1415 EST
    S/N LB 30372
    Basic stupidity on my part.

Posts liked by others

Sad affair

Mr. Bear,

Something tells me you were being watched. I doubt the BG rolled the dice and chose to smash your window based on an unknown under a tarp. I wonder if they had staked out the range and followed you to that parking lot. Does the range have security cameras that could have picked up suspicious activity? Does the mall or store you stopped at have tape covering the time frame? We Canadians moan and groan about our registration process but it does make the sale of stolen firearms more difficult and the penalty of buying and possessing an unregistered handgun is severe. I do wish you luck and hope your insurance covers you.

Gord
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.

Posts liked by others

Stolen Baer

I reported it to my range (since my membership card was in my bag) - manager mentioned the same thing - - however, 7 mile drive from the range to the hardware store where I stopped.
    No video camera at the store - police checked.
    Oh well, it's in the NCIC system now. Ya never know.

Posts liked by others
    Why (even if legal) would you leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle?

Posts liked by others
    Will take all responsibility for being Stooopid (and lazy).
    No one to blame but me.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with hercster, i think you were being watched. The only possible exception would be if you have a gun club member sticker on your vehicle...or other gun, hunting or NRA decals stuck on the vehicle. These stickers are neon signs to a thief looking for cars that may have guns.
    Sure, anything left in a car is open to theft...guns or whatever. And everyone would hate to add a gun to the bad guys inventory. But, I'm not sure I understand the surprise that someone would leave a gun in a car? I live in Oklahoma and it is common for a carry gun to go into the mall with you and your "car gun" or rifle to stay hidden in the car. What do others think?

Posts liked by others
    I gotta lean towards agreeing with the "watched" comments.
    The car doesn't have any "gun" type stuff on it (other than a !st Marine Div decal - - and one wouldn't think the kayak saddles would say "GUN").
    I spent many years having to watch my tail when I was in the military overseas and maybe old age and civilian life has dulled my habits.
    No video at the range or the hardware store. My neighbor (a Secret Service agent) expressed surprise at the location of the theft.
    Trust me, more rear-view and random turns when returning from now on. Not to mention no giving in to laziness.
    Like the Duke is reported to have said, "Life is hard, but it's harder when you're stupid."
    Lesson learned.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I also agree you were targeted, be it by someone from the range or someone who saw you leaving the range, or heard of your ownership of firearms and took the chance one might be in your vehicle.

Don't beat yourself up over it, it could happen to any of us. At some point in time we all have had a weapon in our unattended vehicle and were lucky it was not stollen. I'm sure we all will be more careful in the future.

Be safe
    Dave
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box......but not dull!