Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA Duty 1911?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SA Duty 1911?

My department has seen the light and will allow us to carry SA 1911s. The department will pay for a loaded or operator. I can add some $$ from my clothing allowance and get the TRP.

If I go with either the loaded or operator I can use the clothing allowance to have the custom shop perform the defensive package modification to the gun.

Question - will a loaded/operator with the defensive package be a better duty gun that an out of the box TRP?

I would like to get a light rail gun, but that seems to SEVERELY limit patrol duty holster selection - any patrol guys out there comment on the light rail holster situation?

Thanks!!
    John

Posts liked by others
    Fido,

First of all the 1911 has worked for over a 100 years without having custom packages done to it. With saying that light rail or not option is yours alone. Conside what shift you work, have you used them before and so on and so forth. To have this gun for duty you do not have to get this pacakge done. Get whatever one you want, and shoot the heck out of it along with duty mags to make sure she works a ok. Try and find some place that has all three and check them out. I don't like the checkering on the TRP, but thats just me.

If you want a light rail- opt for the Operator or the TRP with rail. If you don't want a rail- opt for the Loaded or TRP minus the rail. I prefer mine without, PS I carry a Parked Mil-Spec on duty. I had the Loaded but prefered the Mil-Spec.

Light bearing holsters-about everyone makes one. Check out Safariland-my first choice then Blackhawk... You might look at what holster your carrying now and be able to get that model but in the light bearing model.

Hope that helps,

Mike
    Don't over engineer it, don't ibm it, don't mit it and don't all go for a road scholar in malfunction clearance, just tap and rack-Clint Smith
    Last edited by Kansas191150; 1st December 2011 at 05:54.

Posts liked by others
    Is waiting time a factor in your selection process? SA's custom shop is known for some rather... extended delivery times.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    For me it would be the TRP. I have $3000 guns I don't consider as reliable as my TRP.

Best of luck sir, Vern

Posts liked by others
    Been using a Light Weight Operator and TRL light for the past four years in a Safariland holster. Never had a problem with it.

Like the attached light for bulding searches and night shift.

Posts liked by others
    Here's an excellent article by Hilton Yam on 1911s for duty use. The Springfields are discussed in the article:

Choosing a 1911 For Duty Use
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    +1 for the Lightweight Operator.... tack driver out of the box and no modifications are needed.
    Current LEO and NRA Life Member
    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these"

-George Washington Carver

Posts liked by others
    I would also recommend using Hilton Yam's resource guide when it comes to selecting a duty holster.

http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...-Resource.html

I've been carrying a 10-8 Nighthawk & Springfield 10-8 Operator for plain clothes work. Most of the equipment used to carry the weapon was based on Hilton's recommendations. You'll find a small library of information relating to the 1911. A great resource for any 1911 user.

PB

Posts liked by others
    I am from a different school of thought on light rails. It is only natural that a felon intent on not being arrested would shoot at the source of the light. Not good, when you are behind the light. When I searched for felons I held my hand held flash light extend as far away from my torso as possible. Any incoming fire would at worse only hit my weak arm.

The only light I would have on a gun is a CT Laser. The CT Laser in total darkness provides enough light to see the felon and has the added benefit of precise shot placement.
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Depending on what your department wants in their officer's firearms this could very. But if I had the choice I would go with the Operator Lightweight to save weight on your duty belt. The rail is something that isn't bad or good and it's better to have something and not need/use it than it is to need it and not have it.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. your lucky to be able to use a M1911 in my book apparently the firearm design must be good if its still keeping up with polymer HI-Cap pistols. It's quality of the shot not how many times you can shoot.
    Citadel M1911-A1 Parkerized Full Size .45 ACP
    Thompson Auto-Ordanince M1911-A1
    Glock 17 Gen3
    "Everything in firearms boils down to quality, NOT quantity; It doesn't matter if you have a high capacity magazine if you can't connect with your target."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast