Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 Parts "list"

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 Parts "list"

We see a lot of posts asking, "What brands of aftermarket parts will fit my [fill in brand] Super Blaster XYZ Millennium 5027?" What many newcomers to 1911s don't seem to realize is that, subject to a few idiosyncrasies, virtually every current manufacturer of 1911 pistols basically follows standard 1911 dimensions, and pretty much ALL aftermarket parts can be used with pretty much ALL makes of 1911-type pistol.

So ... for those who ask for a "list" of what parts are available, we respectfully suggest that you ring up our forum sponsor, Brownells, and ask them to send you a copy of their 1911 parts catalog. There is simply no more comprehensive listing of what's available. Yes, there are some brands or parts that Brownells doesn't carry, but if you can't find something for your needs at Brownells, your needs must be very VERY specialized.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...t/1911-CATALOG

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I wholeheartadly agree and Brownells is and has been my first choice for many years but I would also like to add that Midway USA also has a good selection too, some of which Brownells does not have, and usually with decent pictures. And Brownells also has some items that Midway doesn't.
    Except for some proprietary sources for some 1911 items between these two sources just about everything 1911 available is listed.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Kinda late here, but what you are saying is if I find something I like, and it says it will fit a Kimber 1911, then it will probably fit my Taurus PT1911 also?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneckryder
    Kinda late here, but what you are saying is if I find something I like, and it says it will fit a Kimber 1911, then it will probably fit my Taurus PT1911 also?
    Subject to the standard disclaimer that virtually no part for any 1911 is truly a "drop-in" fit ... yes.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Sweet. That should save hours of frustration....Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    Note that some makers have some peculiarities, when it comes to specific features - mainly, safety differences.

Example: Kimber uses a firing pin safety that is actuated by the grip safety. This means that some 'generic' 1911 parts may not fit a Kimber... rear sights, for example, have a recess for the firing pin safety plunger. Fortunately, Kimber's sight cuts are proprietary, so this issue doesn't come into play very often.

Taurus uses a copy of Colt's series 80 firing pin safety. So it needs all the parts peculiar to such guns, i.e. firing pin, extractor, firing pin stop, and grip safety (although thinning a regular grip safeties blocking arm isn't too hard).

These peculiarities are all you need to know. If you detailstrip your pistol, you'll know what you have. Note, however, Hawk's disclaimer: don't assume that ANY part you get will drop in. Some might need a couple of swipes with a stone, some a bit more... and you'll be lucky with some so they will need nothing at all.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter