Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pistol Review: Cabot Guns CGI/Classic

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your reply and I hope you will continue with similar technical posts.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CabotGuns
    The tolerance variance we specify for our pistols to our machinists and grinders is no more than 2/10,000th of an inch or 0.0002 per side. Thus each side has the potential to vary by this small amount. The consistency of the rails and tangs coupled with our proprietary metal treatments do not call for more a nominal amount of lubricant.

With regard to the steel it generally falls into the 4140 classification, however, we do not use standard 4140. Our metallurgy department specifies it's own proprietary alloy content for the 4140 which is indeed extremely difficult to source. These factors mitigate expansion and contraction. The current fits are where we feel reliability will not be impacted. We could have easily have gone much tighter but you must allow for some tolerance. The technology employed flows from decades of tool and die experience where the study and understanding of contraction and extraction of metal has been extensively developed in-house as potential changes in tolerances cannot be allowed given the precision repeatable endemic to all that is produced at Penn United. There are electronic components that are built here where we literally argue about 5 and 10 millionth of an inch. PUT's Carbide division, which is the most sophisticated on the planet, works in light band tolerances.

To date we have been lubricant agnostic in terms of a recommendation.
    Thanks Cabot Dude!
    Whatever your secrets are deliver a most impressive end result. I'm feeling your purpose here. Ask the question "Why do you go through this level of technological depth?"

The answer is, "Because you CAN" . The pure science of what you do commands my utmost respect.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Rio Vista Slim Guest

A Few More Close-Up Photos

My thanks to Rob Bianchin, at Cabot Guns, for providing a few more close-up photographs of the fine work done by the technicians at Penn United Technologies.

My apologies to Rob for taking so long to get these pictures posted. Today is the first time I've been by my home computer in two weeks.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim
    My thanks to Rob Bianchin, at Cabot Guns, for providing a few more close-up photographs of the fine work done by the technicians at Penn United Technologies.
    Impressive!

Posts liked by others
    Dave's polishing of the pistols is what brings a special touch to the CABOT line of 1911's.All of that hand polishing pays off.

Very impressive!

DAT85

Posts liked by others
    That is a beautiful pistol and excellent photography.

Posts liked by others

Am I the only one crazy enough to purchase one?

Ok I have been called many things including crazy; but I am shocked to find that when I called Cabot my call could not be completed. So it begs the question am I the only one who called? Please help me out all of you who ordered yours please provide me with a working phone #. I did email them and received an out of the office reply.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjim
    Ok I have been called many things including crazy; but I am shocked to find that when I called Cabot my call could not be completed. So it begs the question am I the only one who called? Please help me out all of you who ordered yours please provide me with a working phone #. I did email them and received an out of the office reply.
    Try calling 1-855 THE 1911.

I know that a lot of the staff is at a show in Germany currently,so maybe that is the problem ?

DAT85

Posts liked by others

Icon17

Quote Originally Posted by DAT85
    Try calling 1-855 THE 1911.

I know that a lot of the staff is at a show in Germany currently,so maybe that is the problem ?

DAT85
    Thanks DAT85
    I should have posted the number I called it was 1-855-THE-1911. And the auto email reply did say they would be back from Germany next week. BTW I am thrilled they are in Germany showing them the greatest pistol ever made the all American M1911 (I employ many German engineers and love this mostly friendly argument)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjim
    Thanks DAT85
    I should have posted the number I called it was 1-855-THE-1911. And the auto email reply did say they would be back from Germany next week. BTW I am thrilled they are in Germany showing them the greatest pistol ever made the all American M1911 (I employ many German engineers and love this mostly friendly argument)

I will be sending you a PM shortly.

DAT85

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567