Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Review: Cabot Guns CGI/Classic

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Fine article, Steve. Well done.

If Cabot guns were available in California, I might have to think about going back to work.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Good review. Nice looking pistol for sure, good clean lines. I saw a few things that I would question and these have been mentioned.
    A bit out of my budget but so is a Cadillac, BMW and a Mercedes.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on scoring a great first look at this 1911 and giving us a great article/evaluation. The comment about the front sight filling the entire rear notch of the rear sight isn't "nit picking" in my opinion. Sight acquisition on a combat pistol is a critical element and if the rear sight notch isn't wide enough then that is a big issue. Perhaps Cabot Guns will narrow the front sight or widen the rear sight in the future which would be an easy fix. The price point of these guns is a dead issue for me due to living in California. I doubt that Cabot will bother with the protocol involved in selling these guns in California so I won't ponder about buying one.

Posts liked by others
    Steve,
    Thanks for the great job of reviewing this fine looking pistol. Your tech is amazing.

I have a few stupid questions.

Field-stripping the pistol is accomplished in the tried and true method of all standard configured 1911s, with the only exception being the aforementioned need to place the slide out-of-battery prior to utilizing the bushing wrench.
    Sorry, I am not sure what you mean here.

When tolerances of .001 of an inch are discussed, the actual tolerance between the rails of the frame, and the corresponding cuts in the slide measure out to .0005 of an inch, on each side. In many instances, that tolerance is closer to .0002!
    Wow!

So, what is the target tolerance of the Cobat? And how does this compare with a lower priced pistols (like your Commander)?

How are these pistols sold? Do they have local dealers, or are they only available from the Cabot factory?

Doc

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz41911's
    The comment about the front sight filling the entire rear notch of the rear sight isn't "nit picking" in my opinion.
    Nor in mine either.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer
    I have a few stupid questions.
    I don't consider this a stupid question, and must first reply with "Oops!"
    The "field strip" procedure for a standard, GI-configured pistol is:

1) After making sure the pistol is unloaded, and the magazine removed, depress the recoil spring plunger (or cap) below the front of the barrel.

2) Turn the barrel bushing (when facing the front of the barrel) clockwise, and carefully release the recoil spring cap. Remember, this cap is under spring pressure and could fly into your face, or away into space.

3) Line up the take-down notch in the slide with the slide stop/release.

4) Push the slide stop/release pin from the opposite side, and remove the slide stop/release.

5) Remove the slide from the frame by sliding it toward the front of the frame.

6) Remove the recoil spring and guide from the slide, rotate the barrel bushing counter-clockwise until the notch in the bushing is in line with the notch in the slide, and remove the bushing.

7) Lower the barrel link, and remove the barrel from the front of the slide.

So, what is the target tolerance of the Cabot? And how does this compare with a lower priced pistols (like your Commander)?
    As stated in the "visit" article, as well as the gun review, the maximum tolerance between the slide and frame is .001 inch. This means most of the tolerances will be LESS than .001 inch. To answer the second part of your question, I can only compare by eyesight and feel. The differences between the two pistols mentioned is like daylight and dark.
    How are these pistols sold? Do they have local dealers, or are they only available from the Cabot factory?
    To order a pistol, you must contact Cabot Guns at the phone number listed at the bottom of either the "visit" review or the gun test.

Posts liked by others
    Steve,

Thanks for the explanation about Cabot's machining tolerances.

I look at your pictures and still find it difficult for me to reconcile a company dedicated to precision with the way the rear of the frame and slide on your example fail to line up.

At a base gun price point of $4450, do you think Cabot would do well to pay a bit more attention to the external details?

If there is an open line of communication between the company and you, perhaps a mention of the "nits" would be in order.
    Old enough to know better.

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AFMan
    Steve,

Thanks for the explanation about Cabot's machining tolerances.

I look at your pictures and still find it difficult for me to reconcile a company dedicated to precision with the way the rear of the frame and slide on your example fail to line up.

At a base gun price point of $4450, do you think Cabot would do well to pay a bit more attention to the external details?
    AFMan,

I want to apologize for the photographs, because what you "see" as a mis-matched slide and frame is actually a photographic anomaly. I am, at this second, cleaning the gun for shipment back to Pennsylvania. Remembering your previous post on this matter, I checked the rear of the slide and frame with regular eyesight, and then with a magnifying glass. Their is no mis-match! The frame and slide match up perfectly. I'm extremely sorry that my poor photographs caused this mistaken impression.

To emphasize my point, I just took this photograph of the rear of the pistol. While I admit that the ejector may not be blended in a manner to which you're accustomed, you can see that the slide and frame are even.

Quote Originally Posted by AFMan
    If there is an open line of communication between the company and you, perhaps a mention of the "nits" would be in order.
    The Cabot Guns representative is monitoring this discussion, and he was among the first to view the pistol test when it was published. I'm sure we'll be hearing from him, at some point, during these discussions.

Thanks for your observations.
    Last edited by Rio Vista Slim; 2nd November 2011 at 17:52. Reason: Add photo and text

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Controller
    Thanks. I took a look, it seems they are all in that range, I guess I was more looking to customizing vs custom features I suppose. This is more properly a question for them as the site is not very clear on this subject. I emailed them and will report back here!
    Hi Combat Controller,

We are able to offer several customized options. You are correct in that we don't show that information on our web site. We'll have an updated web site in about a month. I appreciate your patience and thanks for your interest.

Btw, if you sent an e-mail it may have been lost in a spam filter. I checked around and have not found the request. Apologies.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxis
    As always, a great review Steve.

I am delighted to see that they opted to go with Kart barrels... a fantastic choice, and I really believe it will help in the long run as most consider Fred Kart's to be among the best of the best.

Pistol aside... I think the thing I am most impressed with is the case... it is simply gorgeous. Contemporary, yet classic. A fine choice, and very fitting.

Grips look great.

All of the edges on the front of the pistol seem to be broken well, however they look a little harsh on the top of the frame tangs. Nothing major though.

The only things I would like to see a little more attention given to are the machine marks on the very front of the slide, around the bushing, and a little more dressing to the thumb safety so that it matches the contour of the frame when in the "fire" position rather than protruding passed the radius (at least that's the way I interpret the photo... but it is entirely possible my eyes are playing tricks on me).

The one thing that I was really looking forward too are measurements and spec'ing of the parts. I am intrigued by their clone technology and would like to see just how consistent it really is. Alas, we can't have it all! Ideally, that would include a couple different pistols as well to test the interchangeability as well.

Thanks for the review Steve, and thanks to Cabot Guns for providing a specimen.

Oh... last question... what is the other end of the bushing wrench used for??? Do they offer different style bushings, similar to EGW's?
    Hi Traxxis. Thank you for the comments. The front of the slides are indeed hand polished to remove machine marks as is the bushing. The bushing fit is engineered to be very tight and thus I suspect some marks result from the bushing wrench. We are now in the design process of an acrylic bushing wrench that will not create scuffs.

With regard to measurements we employe coordinate measuring machines (CMM) throughout the construction process. In fact, we offer individual CMM Report (Dimensional Analysis Reports) showing precise dimensions of the frame and slide. This in our view is the ultimate documentation and nothing like it has ever been offered for a gun. We believe in providing verifiable data that one can independently validate. The accuracy of our CMM machine is up to 40,000,000th of an inch. The maximum deviation we allow between each side of the frame and slide specified at 0.0005 inches is 20,000,00th. I'll be posting a sample report on out web site within two weeks. They reports are quite extensive.

At the NRA show at our launch we had a demonstration called the Cabot Challenge. We have a table full of frames and slides and the public are invited to pick up any parts and fit them together and then swap them around with any other part. The response was excellent. The most common thing we heard all weekend long was "Wow". If you have a chance to visit us at any of the trade/gun shows listed on our coming events I would encourage you to also take our Cabot Challenge.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast