Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Independence Day
to all my American friends.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1911.ORG Visits Cabot Guns, LLC

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

M1911.ORG Visits Cabot Guns, LLC

An editor of the M1911.ORG E-zine recently visited Penn United Technologies and Cabot Guns, LLC. You may read about that visit http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=521#post521

Please use this thread to discuss the E-zine article.
    Steve
    Last edited by Rio Vista Slim; 31st October 2011 at 07:31.

Posts liked by others
    It appears that the aluminimum case is a "Blaze" by Technoframes:

http://www.technoframes.com/en/index.php

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Walt,

You are correct. Per Rob Bianchin at Cabot Guns:

"Yes, the cases are made for us by Technoframes of Brescia, Italy. They are a customized version of the Blaze cases."
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    I look forward to your Range Report of the T&E gun. It sounds as though the company is appropriately named after the local community rather than one Master Gun Smith. The process you described envisions a team of Master Gun-Part Smiths working independently toward a collective goal of making the very best M1911. One that even J.M. Browning could be proud of.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(
    Last edited by dV8r; 31st October 2011 at 12:52.

Posts liked by others
    As always, Steve has provided us with a supurbly crafted article. I also had no doubt that Cabot Guns would offer him only the finest experience one could have.

I also have to say I am a little disappointed Steve could not be more specific with the details or provide more pictures. It is no fault of his or Cabot Gun's, because I understand their necessity to keep there proprietary information secret. I feel that this article still leaves many readers and potential Cabot Gun customers in the dark about Cabot's manufacturing processes, and does not lift the veil of mystery surrounding their products.

I hope in the future more to be done to rectify this. However under the circumstances I think this is a great review. I look forward to reading more.
    Last edited by Jason8844; 31st October 2011 at 13:12.

Posts liked by others
    Frankly, I doubt that there is anything magic about Cabot's processes. The price of the finished product may be a consequence of Cabot's tight toleances, which slow machine time, require freshly sharpened tools, and necessitate a willingness to scrap workpieces that fall short, even if within others' "normal" tolerances.

Cabot may have proprietary jigs and fixtures, as well as cutting tools and the order of machining operations. I would not be surprised if one aspect of the secrecy is to create an aura of mystery around their product.

If anyone reading this happens to acquire two Cabot pistols, it might be informative to swap slide assemblies to see if the end product maintains that matching precision seen in the review.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio Vista Slim
    An editor of the M1911.ORG E-zine recently visited Penn United Technologies and Cabot Guns, LLC. You may read about that visit http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=521#post521

Please use this thread to discuss the E-zine article.
    Very good report/review. Much better than "the other guy" that recently went there.

Will be looking forward to the range report on the demo gun.

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Nice folks, check.
    Impressive machinery, check.
    Fancy case, check.

Waiting on the gun.

Posts liked by others
    This is pretty lacking considering all of the fanfare, but at least the $350 cases look nice.
    "a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd."

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    ...If anyone reading this happens to acquire two Cabot pistols, it might be informative to swap slide assemblies to see if the end product maintains that matching precision seen in the review....
    Walt, I'd love to help out in that regard. But unfortunately, the Cabot guns aren't on the California approved roster, and under current rules could not be added.

Sorry.

Steve, an excellent article. Thank you.

DVC

(whew! As much as I hate the roster, it's saving me a lot of money.)
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast