Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own one these?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Video ?

I have little doubt that they produce fine firearms. They look a little bit too sharp for my taste. When I make the comparison to a gun built by Ted Yost or one of those masters there is little doubt as to what I would choose.

I actually cringed when I watched that video. What were they thinking? I wanted to reach through the screen to help that man out. Videos of that nature don't need to be super slick but that one is very much less than confidence building.

Posts liked by others
    With in reason, price is not the end all be all. I would like to see how they perform in the field, under heavy use. Or at least used by someone in competition pushing the pistols limits.
    Last edited by Rodney; 13th September 2011 at 19:13.

Posts liked by others
    "I have little doubt that they produce fine firearms. " I'm not so convinced especially after watching their painfully botched videos. They stated they have been making guns 4 years in one of the vids ?? Interchangeable parts made to high tolerances via machines with little or no hand fitting?? Their obvious lack of experience watching their tech fumble through disassembly with some glaring faux pas does not exude confidence. You pay someone with a "stage voice" to narrate your video and tack on an exorbitant price tag. All this hoopla makes me somewhat skeptical. They may be very talented toolmakers but that does not necessarily translate over to become talented gun crafters. I feel a LOT more confident watching the Wilson Combat 1911 technical videos performed by an OBVIOUSLY experienced gunsmith/technician vs. Cabot Guns bumbling through a 1911 disassembly. You are trying to market 4-5 grand guns and you don't have the good sense to edit and scrutinize your own promotional videos?? Really??

Posts liked by others
    GI/Classic pistol is an exact reproduction of the iconic M1911A1
    Really?.............
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    All my Army Surplus have dimples abaft of the ejection port, don't yours?

The gun has the long radius - thick frontstrap typical of early Springfields and Caspians. It shows up as wide flat borders around the grips. The dustcover looks slabsided, too, and the slide flats look "tall" indicating a non-standard top contour. The A1 finger scallops look odd.

I wonder, is it not possible to program a machining center to cut the contours that Colt did the hard way 85 ago?
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 26th September 2011 at 12:27.

Posts liked by others
    I was not sure if I should make another thread about this or post in one of the 2 already existing ones.

I want you all to know that when I heard about Cabot Guns, I too had trepidation and looked upon them with a jaundice eye. I still have yet to see one of their guns in person, but here is what I do know -

Rob at Cabot Guns has been conversing with me via email the past few days. I get the distinct impression that this company is truly sincere in what they are trying to do. I am not a customer but Rob has been kind enough to spend time talking with me about their product and discuss them in detail. He seems to truly take pride in his product. All I know is that this is most likely a microcosm of what their customer service would be like. If he would spend this much time talking to me now, then what would they do if I was a customer?

You can love'em or hate'em for whatever reason you wish, but it does not change the fact my experience with Rob has been very positive. Sometimes you cannot put a price on customer service.

I just wanted to share my experience. You can use it, or ignore it as you please.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    All my Army Surplus have dimples abaft of the ejection port, don't yours?

The gun has the long radius - thick frontstrap typical of early Springfields and Caspians. It shows up as wide flat borders around the grips. The dustcover looks slabsided, too, and the slide flats look "tall" indicating a non-standard top contour. The A1 finger scallops look odd.

I wonder, is it not possible to program a machining center to cut the contours that Colt did the hard way 85 ago?
    The are not exact reproductions of any original USGI pistols I have ever seen.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    If we are talking about the GI pistol, we have heard from Cabot that the pictures shown in their web site are not exactly showing their actual production guns, but a prototype. From what we've been told, the production guns will be exact copies of the original.

As you may (not) know, Steve Clark, our editor (known as Rio Vista Slim in here) is visiting Cabot facilities this week and he will get back to you with more details after that.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 27th September 2011 at 01:23.

Posts liked by others
    Seems like this company has lots of marketing issues.

Posts liked by others
    Wow, at the prices. I'm sure they're good but they'd better be at that level in the marketplace...in this economy. Pardon my ignorance but does any other custom 1911 maker have a line in that $ range? (I'll be interested to see the report/review from Slim!)
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast