Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Berryhill Custom AFP discussion thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Berryhill Custom AFP discussion thread

Please use this thread to discuss our review of the Berryhill Custom AFP pistol, as published in our E-zine.

Thanks
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    A couple of clarifications from Dave Berryhill regarding the AFP:

- The pistol Steve based his article on, was a prototype that Dave build using a Caspian frame and slide he had in hand. Production pistols will be made with forged frames and slides.

- The test pistol has vertical, GI-style cocking serrations. The standard AFP pistol will have angled, flat cocking serrations, with the GI ones being an option.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Looks like a very well thought out, utterly reliable pistol. I especially like the absence of what I consider frills, such as 40 line per inch on the top of the slide, checkering the rear of the slide, French borders, ball cuts, etc. The only thing I would like to see if, if forged frames are to be used, is either a Michiguns extra stout plunger tube (the design has 4 staking tubes) or silver soldering or Tig welding the plunger tube to the frame. A Caspian frame would negate the extra work as they offer a frame, albeit cast, with an integral plunger tube assembly. Great, objective review.

Posts liked by others
    There is an argument to be made that the complex shapes of a 1911 frame derive no benefit from starting with a forging. In fact, a properly cast frame will be more homogeneous in composition than a forging.

A component such as the slide, or an M14 bolt, for example, has a simple shape. One could argue that the uniform grain direction of a forging of such simply-shaped (by comparison) parts affords some advantage in strength.

Casting the 1911 frame permits the option of an integral plunber tube. Were the frame a forging, the side of frame would have to be extensively machined, leaving the boss for the plunger tube standing proud of the machined surface. That's a lot of machine time and cutter wear, not to mention wasted material.

It's too bad that when someone says "casting" one's thoughts immediately turn to the die cast zinc cap pistol of one's youth. However, that's a horse of a very different kettle of worms.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Steve's review was well done, especially the manner in which he tested the pistol. With the pistol being designed for hard use, it was rather appropriate to run it through the paces that Steve selected. I find the classic design of the Berryhill AFP very appealing and it's good to know that it's straight "out of the box" reliable. With a surge of price increases from some (if not most) of the premium production semi-custom 1911 manufacturers, the AFP's price point is attractive and poised to compete; I know it has my attention now. Thanks for the review.

Posts liked by others
    It says it ships with 2 magazines, can we know who manufactures the magazines?

Posts liked by others
    I'm currently using Cer-Tac 8 round magazines. These are magazines that have a tube that extends into the base pad similar to the Wilson ETM and the Tripp Cobra mags.

I've never quite understood all the controversy over plunger tubes. If you install them properly, they don't come loose. The problem is that most production gun manufacturers don't install them properly! I put a good chamfer on the inside of the frame, use plunger tubes that have studs that extend the entire depth of the frame, put a drop of green loctite on the studs and then stake them well. Occasionally I will install one too early in the build process and will need to remove it because it is in the way. I usually destroy the plunger tube in the process of removing it because they are securely attached to the frame.

I still consider myself a custom gunsmith. If you want one of Ned's plunger tubes or if there is some other feature that you'd like, I can probably accommodate you. Send me an email if you have any questions or if there is an option that you'd like that isn't listed on my website.

Posts liked by others
    A great review of a great pistol - congratulations Steve!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    clip-----There is an argument to be made that the complex shapes of a 1911 frame derive no benefit from starting with a forging. In fact, a properly cast frame will be more homogeneous in composition than a forging------clip
    So true, Walt. Properly cast (and, dare I say, MIM) gas turbine parts (in the hot section!!!) have shown greater strength and reliability than forged in many applications.

Mr. Berryhill could make mine on a Caspian.

Warmest regards,
    Rob

Posts liked by others

infernal casting non issue

Quote Originally Posted by RobfromME
    So true, Walt. Properly cast (and, dare I say, MIM) gas turbine parts (in the hot section!!!) have shown greater strength and reliability than forged in many applications.

Mr. Berryhill could make mine on a Caspian.

Warmest regards,
    Rob
    Yes indeed. The next time any of us fly it will likely be in a plane with cast turbine blades. Quality can vary with all manufacturing methods. Properly done, cast parts can be the equal or better of forgings again as always, depending on the application and the quality of the process.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast