Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Violation of Col. Cooper's rule.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I hope I don't run into Frank if he ever decides to live a life of crime! I believe he'd be a handful.

I enjoy reading all of your thoughts and try to apply them to my own circumstances. I have weapon mounted lights on my pistol and rifle but normally use a handheld light. I should practice more with a flashlight since I work the midnight shift. I use a light all the time, just not with a weapon in hand very often.

You've given me a bit to think about and I'd like to thank you all for it.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by daveohno; 6th November 2011 at 20:12.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by daveohno
    I hope I don't run into Frank if he ever decides to live a life of crime! I believe he'd be a handful...
    Not to worry. I have no intention of going back to working for a living -- whether the work be honest or dishonest.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I don't use a lanyard on any of my lights, I use a large key ring or if you have access to them...a flash-bang pull ring.

One can hold it a few different ways when shooting, but the index finger goes thru the ring like this;

Then when doing a reload or any other manipulation, flip it around to the back of the hand to get it out of the way, yet still retain it, and flip it back around when ready to go;

Been packing it this way for years, and haven't had a problem yet. Like anything new, it takes practice...but your mileage may vary.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, that's the most interesting idea I've seen in years. Obviously you can also flip it around (out of the way) if you move away from a dark area, onto a lit space, and use a regular two-handed grip without ever letting go of the light.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    Thanks, that's the most interesting idea I've seen in years. Obviously you can also flip it around (out of the way) if you move away from a dark area, onto a lit space, and use a regular two-handed grip without ever letting go of the light.
    Yes.

Its very versatile. Can grip the light like a cigar and lay it next to the gun like Ayoobs 'Stress Fire" position, or palm it and do a 'Harries' technique using your thumb to activate the light switch.

Posts liked by others
    Looks like a very neat trick. I'm going to pick up some large, split-rings and give it a try.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) advocates this technique, I believe. His Thunder Ranch light, at least the one I have, came with a rubber ring almost as big as the split ring shown, used in the same fashion.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Rubber rings don't work well, they tend to stick and slow down the motion of moving the light around...and hinder things.

I advise against them. Surefire came out with a rubber ring attachment, but it doesn't work well...its not placed for the optimal position to manipulate the light.
    Clint's light system doesn't come with a ring, he uses a lanyard.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...tem-88108.html
    Last edited by wichaka; 7th November 2011 at 17:49.

Posts liked by others
    I bought one of the Thunder Ranch lights after they first came out several years ago. It was a Streamlight TL-2 with a rubber "Tiger Ring" attached. I believe it was named after one of the instructors at TR. I still have it but I usually carry a Surefire Defender now.
    The first TR Streamlight was the TL-2 with the Tiger Ring for handguns, then later the TR Rifle Streamlight w/o the ring. I have the latter attached to a AR-15 and it works very well.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by WBB
    I bought one of the Thunder Ranch lights after they first came out several years ago. It was a Streamlight TL-2 with a rubber "Tiger Ring" attached. I believe it was named after one of the instructors at TR. I still have it but I usually carry a Surefire Defender now.
    The first TR Streamlight was the TL-2 with the Tiger Ring for handguns, then later the TR Rifle Streamlight w/o the ring. I have the latter attached to a AR-15 and it works very well.
    Here you go:

That's where I got the idea that the TR light came with a rubber ring .

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast