Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Violation of Col. Cooper's rule.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Violation of Col. Cooper's rule.

Pistol-mounted tac-lights require you to point the pistol at something you may or may not be willing to destroy. Holding the tac-light in one's off hand mandates a one-handed grip. Comments please. Thanks, Henry.

Posts liked by others
    The pointing problem is troubling to me, too. I practice the Harries technique; it's not a two-handed hold but it's better than one hand unsupportd.

Keep in mind that we should be able to shoot competently one-handed with each hand, both dominant & "weak." I generally end a shooting session with at least one magazine, left-hand, shot unsupported (I'm right-handed).

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryM
    Pistol-mounted tac-lights require you to point the pistol at something you may or may not be willing to destroy....
    That was a criticism my instructors at Gunsite had of weapon mounted lights. As I noted in post 7 of my article:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ettin
    ...The Gunsite perspective on a gun mounted light: they are good for shooting, but one still needs a flashlight for looking and seeing. Remember Rule Two of gun safety -- “never let the muzzle cover something you are not willing to destroy.” One needs to be able to illuminate something without pointing a gun at it....
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    The pointing problem is troubling to me, too. I practice the Harries technique; it's not a two-handed hold but it's better than one hand unsupportd...
    I also like the Harries technique. Here's a good discussion of that technique.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    ...Keep in mind that we should be able to shoot competently one-handed with each hand, both dominant & "weak." ...
    +1

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    A postscript re: Harries.

We had just begun a keypal relationship when he stepped out of a restaurant and died on the sidewalk of a major heart attack . I sure miss him.

Regards,

Walt
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14

Posts liked by others
    In my years on the street with searching buildings and other odd structures, I would highly recommend that one get familiar with more than one method, it'll pay off in no time.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others

Streamlight TLR-1 for me

Why would anyone consider limiting themselves to shooting their .45 with only one hand?
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately".
    Benjamin Franklin, at the signing of the Declaration of Independence

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennS1956
    Why would anyone consider limiting themselves to shooting their .45 with only one hand?
    Ask the FBI agents who "participated" in the "Miami Massacre." Your support hand may be incompacitated; even your strong hand may be incompacitated. You may have a baby in your arm...or be dragging a wounded comrade to safety.

There are any number of scenarios, all of which have happened somewhere, sometime in real life in somebody. If it happens to you, if you can shoot passably well with either hand you can stay in the fight.

Does this help?

Regards,

Walt
    The M14

Posts liked by others
    Who said anything about limiting oneself to shooting with only one hand? The Harries technique and a couple of others allow supported shooting using a separate flashlight. And a separate flashlight allows greater flexibility.

During the low light exercises in my recent Gunsite class, I learned from experience that there will be times when one will want to be able to maneuver his light without pointing his gun.

And of course, one will still want to be proficient with his gun with one hand (both dominant hand and non-dominant hand).

DVC

Posts liked by others
    wjkuleck - "Ask the FBI agents who "participated" in the "Miami Massacre." Your support hand may be incompacitated... Does this help?"

No. It has absolutely nothing to do with choosing in advance to limit yourself to shooting with one hand.

Frank - "The Harries technique"

No matter what "technique" you use, if you're holding a flashlight, you're not using a full two-handed grip on your gun.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately".
    Benjamin Franklin, at the signing of the Declaration of Independence

Posts liked by others
    ...No matter what "technique" you use, if you're holding a flashlight, you're not using a full two-handed grip on your gun...
    True, but I will choose the flexibility of having a separate, handheld flashlight and being able to put light someplace without having to point a gun there.

The Harries technique, with proper training and practice, offers satisfactory support and is quite workable. And while a full, two-handed grip is a nice thing when it can be managed, with training and practice it's really not a necessity. Good work can be done with the gun held only in one hand. It is, after all, a handgun -- not a handsgun.

What training have you had? You might want to consider some more.

DVC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast