Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Surefire upgrade

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Surefire upgrade

I have a Surefire 6Z, which I've bought years ago and which I am using inside the house for various chores requiring a strong light. During those years, I've changed the burned lamp at least 3 times, and since I wanted the brightest possible light, I was using the upgraded P61 lamp assemblies. However, these are not easy to find in Greece, so last time the lamp went south, I decided it was time for something different.

After a little Internet research, I ordered the ThruNite P60 Style Cree XP-G R5 LED Drop-In assembly, shown below.

Wow, this is one powerful lamp. I was kind of expecting to see a difference, the P61 is rated at 120 Lumens, while this baby is rated at 300 Lumens, but I was not prepare for the huge difference this LED produced. I do not currently have any P60 or P61 lamps to show you a comparison, but trust me, if you have an old Surefire light and you want to upgrade it, this is the way to go.

I plan to order some more of these LEDs for the two 6Z clones I have, one in each of our cars. They are well-worth the money, given that they are so much more powerful than the standard lamps and that they are supposed to last much longer than them. I am sold!!!!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up drop in led........?

John, did you get the three level unit or the one brightness?.......I just looked at a video of the difference it makes.......Wow.......That is some light.....Here is a link to the video........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w4aFXdVup0 ......Tom

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Ah, in those things, I prefer simplicity. I got the single function one. My small Fenix PD20 has a dual-funtionality (steady light and pulsing) and sometimes I select the pulsing instead of the steady. I have no need for such gizmos and when I need a light I need the whole power of it. Otherwise, my Black & Decker lantirn is two steps away.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Upgrading to an led module is the best money I've spent. I've had 9P's for years which is just the longer version of SureFire classic 6P. I put in SureFire LED modules and the light output is amazing. I agree with John that all the extra modes are just asking for trouble. I want the light on full when I press the button. You'll see a lot of newer lights that have high-medium-low, blink mode, send SOS signals, etc. Not a fan!

Folks may not be aware that the newer modules actually contain miniature electronics that keep the light output steady throughout most of the battery life. Some have a feature that switches to low power mode when the batteries are nearly dead, giving you another 100 hours of dim but useful light for emergencies.

Lazarus
    "Do not fix that which is not broken."