Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bright flashlights

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs up bright flashlights

I was reading shipwreck's thread on lights and thought I should share a light.

A company called Black Bear Flashlights makes several models, of which I have two.

The Borealis 1050 has been my graveyard patrol buddy for several years now. Roughly as bright as the high beams on your car.

Our issue lights are advertised at about 120 lumens, and they are generally considered good lights. Some guys use ultra Stingers, and they have been considered better.

The Borealis 1050 is much much brighter. Again, think of a handheld light as bright as your car's high beams.

I have a Bear Cub (220 lumens) that throws a bright light way out there. Very good for it's size.

The Black Bear website has a very good comparison (pictures) of each of their flashlights, with numerous others.

My experience shows exactly the same results. The proof is right before my old eyeballs, every night. The Bear Cub is a great flashlight at an honest 200 lumens, and the Borealis at 1050 lumens flat out blows the competition away.

Also, where the 200 lumen lights work well at blinding adversaries, the 850 to 1050+ lumen lights work much better. The Search and Rescue model is another light to look at.

Check out Black Bear's website http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/
    John from 1849 Sutter's Fort. Retired to Texas.
    Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
    "Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohgyrr
    I was reading shipwreck's thread on lights and thought I should share a light.

A company called Black Bear Flashlights makes several models, of which I have two.

The Borealis 1050 has been my graveyard patrol buddy for several years now. Roughly as bright as the high beams on your car.

Our issue lights are advertised at about 120 lumens, and they are generally considered good lights. Some guys use ultra Stingers, and they have been considered better.

The Borealis 1050 is much much brighter. Again, think of a handheld light as bright as your car's high beams.

I have a Bear Cub (220 lumens) that throws a bright light way out there. Very good for it's size.

The Black Bear website has a very good comparison (pictures) of each of their flashlights, with numerous others.

My experience shows exactly the same results. The proof is right before my old eyeballs, every night. The Bear Cub is a great flashlight at an honest 200 lumens, and the Borealis at 1050 lumens flat out blows the competition away.

Also, where the 200 lumen lights work well at blinding adversaries, the 850 to 1050+ lumen lights work much better. The Search and Rescue model is another light to look at.

Check out Black Bear's website http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/
    Glad to see another flashlight guy here.

I just recently got the new XM-L HO LED modules for my P20 and T20 Eagletacs. over 700 lumens at the emitter, and about 514 actual out the front lumens. Great lights

Posts liked by others
    Check out this brand also. Its called an O LIGHT M20 WARRIOR PREMIUM. This lights throws further than a surefire E2D defender. I own both and the OLight comes with abit more extra like a carry pouch, 3 color filter lenses, extra orings and a nice package. The Olight is built a bit more robust and slightly bigger than the surefire and the strike bezel is removeable. Now if u want something smaller but just as bright and good a thrower, try a Fenix PD30.
    if it dont start with a 4, dont go to war. come get some

Posts liked by others

From left to right: Fenix PD30, OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR PREMIUM, SUREFIRE E2DL DEFENDER and the 4th is my all around beater fenix E20. I recently just picked up another OLight for daily carry along with my knife. The olight 315. Powered only by 1 AA, this little punk throws 100 yards easy and can still illuminate good. I like throwers compared to flooders. The fenix E20 can be adjusted to be a thrower or spotter but i left it at a flood setting.
    Last edited by CDogg; 3rd July 2011 at 10:02.

Posts liked by others
    The Olight are very reasonably priced and well made. I bought a T25T for a friend as a gift and almost kept it for myself. The Fenix LD20 is also made very well. Bought it for my brother and he uses it everyday.

Posts liked by others
    Heres my newest light. Its the Olight M30 triton. Its 3 times brighter than my surefire e2dl defender at 700 lumens. Throws beam at 500 yards easy with enough light spill for flood. Been to 2 camp trips with this and its incredibly bright

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I have an old Surefire 6Z, which is next to my bed. I have replaced the anemic lamps they use with a ThruNite P60-Style Cree XP-G R5 LED and the output is phenomenal.

On my desk, there is (usually, unless taken by the kids to search for their stuff) a tiny Fenix PD20, which is also very bright.

And there is a Surefire 6Z-lookalike (cheap copies) in each one of our cars, just in case a light is needed. Unfortunately, they do not accept the Cree lamp, so I am just using P60s in them.

About a year ago, I discovered that there are rechargeable 123 batteries, so I got four of them and the corresponding charger. The best 50€ I've spend. No more battery cost for my lights, I just need to order four more batteries, to cover all of them.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    @John. The XP-G R5 led assembly is great. The Olight company uses those on some of their M20 warrior models. Its rated at 336 lumens out the front. As far as the rechargeable cr123s, i wont recommend those. Alot of the lights i own comes with instruction manuals that discourages use of rechargeable cr123s on their products due to its lack of energy to push the led light to its peak. I would just buy regular disposable ones if i were u. Thats what i did :-)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Regular disposable batteries is what I was using, but late developments (purchase of a small property) have forced the Secretary of Treasury (my wife) to initiate some significant budget cutting.

The rechargeables I've been using now for almost a year, haven't shown any adverse effect on either the Cree-equipped Surefire or the Fenix, so I'll keep on using them or else I won't have batteries for the lights, per Lena's austerity measures.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Your "Lena"...........

sounds like my "Linda"......... ....are they not great?..........Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast