Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas Ranger Museum

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Rio Vista Slim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by USMC69
    Front cocking serrations. In recent times, a lot of 1911's have been produced with cocking serrations on the back AND front of the slide. Custom and most semi-custom houses like Ed Brown, Baer, etc. will offer the option of eliminating the front serrations for custom builds.

I found it noteworthy that none of the pistols in the OP's collage appeared to have the front serrations. I don't recall whether "traditional" 1911's had the fronts or not, but I happen to be one of the "clean slide" guys that doesn't see the need for FCS. I also found it interesting that most, if not all of the pistols pictured had the mil-spec sights on them - again, I don't know if that's due to the lack of availability of adjustable/fixed "modern" rear sights and front blades, or that's the way the boys back in the day liked them. Cool pics, though.
    "Traditional" 1911s were not equipped with front cocking serrations. That is strictly a late 20th century "innovation", and, like you, I don't care for them.

Since Colts were the only commercial manufacturer of the 1911, the Texas Ranger Museum features mostly Colts. From the video (and a few of the photographs), several Rangers would put larger or adjustable sights on their pistols. The majority of Colt 1911s at the museum have the small sights which were standard on commercial-grade Colts (except the Gold Cups) until the Series 80 pistols were introduced.

The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas is a fascinating destination. I highly recommend that any visitors to Waco include the museum as a "must stop".

Posts liked by others
    Here are a couple of photos of Texas Ranger Jim Geer who served in the 40's and 50's. He carried a Colt .45 ACP on one hip and a Colt .38 Super on the other hip. He was well over 6 feet tall and was probably not the guy you wanted to pick a fight with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123