Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Firefox and software developers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Something tells me that Firefox quick release schedule is not unrelated to ... security holes they discover, as the time passes. I can't believe that they are renewing the entire code, just to make it faster, every two months.

After all, a browser is a browser. What more are they adding?

Oh how I miss Netscape!!!!!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Nope, security releases come out as "point releases" — 4.0.1, for example, or 3.6.19. Those are urgent. Firefox major releases are like a train: they ship on time with whatever's on board.

There are literally thousands of people working on Firefox (including me!), making dozens or hundreds of improvements, big and small, every day. The only thing different with the accelerated release schedule is that you'll see a smaller set of improvements every couple of months, rather than a huge world-changing pile of improvements every year. That's good for users, and it's good for the web.

Think of it as "Firefox update 6", rather than "Firefox 6.0", and you'll be closer to the truth.

And these are nice updates, too: Firefox 6 starts faster, has a bunch of improvements for developers, helps keep your plugins up to date, and supports a bunch more web technologies.

Firefox 7 will use 30–40% less memory than Firefox 5. That's pretty awesome!

Look at it another way: do you know what version of your bank's webpage you're using? Or the BBC/CNN/? Probably not, because they quietly roll out improvements as they arrive. It just gets better over time.

Regarding "rush out a buggy release" — quite the contrary, having a stable and rapid release cycle helps us ship a fully baked product. There's no rushing at all, because anything that isn't ready for release just catches the next train and arrives 8 weeks later. With a big annual release, people rush to get what they've been working on for 6 months out the door.

The code that just shipped in Firefox 6 has been hammered on by tens of thousands of people for four months. It's been in the beta channel since Firefox 5 launched in June, and it's been in the "Aurora" channel for two months before that. I'm currently running what will be Firefox 8, so that I will find any problems months before you might.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Hey good to hear from you again. And thanks for the clarifications.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I'm with John, Hawkmoon, and others who have experienced frustration and disappointment with the latest versions of Firefox. I count myself as an experienced computer user, having used them since the early days of the TRS 80. I have been using Firefox since it's inception. Whenever I am notified that there is a new version out, I download it and try to use it. Recently I was prompted to download Version 6.0, and after fighting with it for several days, I hated it. Didn't like the looks of it or the lack of options. Along with many others I dislike tabs intensely, seeing no logical use for them instead of windows. The latest versions of Firefox almost force you to use tabs. I have 3 computers that are in use and the past week I have compared Versions 3.0.11, 3.6.20, 5.0.1, and 6.0. I do NOT like the latest releases. I have settled on version 3.6.20 after downloading Menu Editor 1.2.7. This allows me to minimize any use of tabs and many of the other "upgrades" which just contribute to more complexity and "clicks." Someone said they miss Netscape. I do too. I think the geeks (that's a friendly term for the experts that design these things, and for whom, I have the greatest respect) purposely "upgrade" and build a more complex device for the benefit of other geeks, not for the everyday user who has to learn a new system every 2 weeks when a new version comes out. Right now I am very satisfied with 3.6.20 on all 3 computers until something better comes along. I do not like the forced use of tabs in the new versions or the lack of an option to disable them. Why would it be so hard to add an option to eliminate the use of tabs? Seems to me you would have many more happy users if the newer versions had that option.
    Last edited by texagun; 19th August 2011 at 14:03.

Posts liked by others
    My girlfriend has finally banished Firefox from our computer. After downloading 6.0, we got a blue-screen every other day; she ran a diagnostic on it and it found over 400 registry errors. She's pretty handy with tech stuff, but has made an appointment with our favorite "geek" to install something else. The Devil Box is currently using Internet Explorer, and I'm typing this missive on my iBook.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."- Ronald Wilson Reagan

"Mmmmm.....tasty burglar......"- Tonka the Large Dog

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    You have heard the anecdote about the camel, right?

What is a camel? A horse designed by a committee.

I think this holds for the software industry today.

Like you, I dislike tabs, or to be more precise, I hate them. I usually visit more than one site at the same time, and I want each one of them to show in a different window, it makes my browsing so much easier and there is no way I'll forget to check one. I know that with the tabs you do the same thing essentially, but I'd rather be looking for a big large window than a small tab. But I can understand that some people like tabs, so even though I don't agree with them, I can live with that.

What I can't live with, is that software developers don't give us users an easy option for that. I am using two Macs here and the kids have to Windoze computers. In order to make my life easier, I want each of them set up in the same way. So when I set up FF, I need to remember that I also need to download NoScript, Menu Editor, Xmarks etc. etc. etc. and then I have to set those plug-ins up, as I have them in my main iMac. Not easy, not intuitive, counter-productive. Why can't FF developers give us a way to copy all our settings from one computer to another?

One more thing. While previous Mac versions of FF6 were pretty shaky, the last one seems to be quite stable, except from the fact that some times, it shows the spinning color ball in all windows, if a site is slow to respond or not responding. In other words the whole FF freezes until that site comes back with an answer.

And just to prove that I am not complaining only about FF, the latest Mac OS, Lion, is a pain. Not only Apple wants us to change how we've been using our mice all those years (scrolling in Lion is by default opposite to what we are used to. At least this is an option you can set to change that), but they also change the way the computer works. For example, when the computer goes to sleep (the energy saving mode), it shuts down everything. For years, I had my computer go into sleep mode, with my Mail client (Apple's email client) open, collecting my emails. When I moved my mouse in the morning, all my emails were in my Inbox, ready for me to start answering. With the new version, when the computer goes to sleep, ethernet is no longer working. In other words, Mail can't get my emails, I have to wait for them to get fetched when I wake the computer up in the morning. Not only that, but also there is a bug in the way their bluetooth works and some times the mouse is not recognized after the computer goes to sleep. So the computer doesn't wake up if you move your mouse.

You can wake the bloody thing up with the keyboard (another bluetooth device, which doesn't seem to be affected by the bug), but then you can't do anything because the mouse is still dead. I ended up disablling the power saving mode, to avoid the awaking problems. And when I did it, Apple was kind enough to inform me that my computer would consume more energy in that way. Yeah, sure, thanks for letting me know.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Re - Registry errors in Windblows:

I use a nifty little utility tool, called CCleaner. Its main function (for me) is to clear the temporary memory folders of internet browsers from unwanted material - GoogleEarth, in particular, can fill up your PC with GBs of data you will probably not use again (GoogleMaps, too). The program allows you to choose what and what NOT to delete - you can set it up not to delete any cookies, for example, or you can set it to delete everything from, say, FF but nothing (or some specific things) from Google Chrome, or whatever.

But another great function it has, is scanning your registry for errors - and clearing said errors. If you add and remove programs occasionally, you 'd be surprised how much clutter the registry is lumbered with. Automatically updating a program on your PC often involves removing the old version first. If the installer isn't configured properly, a lot of registry entries will wind up orphaned.

CCleaner also has a program removal facility that works a lot better than Windblows' own utility. And, it's all free!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 27th September 2011 at 01:22.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456