Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Firefox and software developers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, Quit is something seldom used for sure. The reason? I always close all open windows by clicking on the red button, on the top left corner of the window (the equivalent of clicking on the red X on the right side of Windows windows). The only time I select Quit, is when I want to completely close Firefox, which I seldom do. Mail and Firefox (and some other programs) are always running on my computer.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    This is not a version for a tablet. It's not even a version for a netbook. It's a version for Mac. Even my 2-years-old MacBook has a monitor analysis of 1280x800. Not exactly handicapped on the resolution department, more than enough to accomodate the buttons we are talking about. Never had any issues using FF3 on it. I can undestand such estate-saving measures in a tablet version, or a netbook one (call me Windowzzz) but on a Mac, it doesn't make sense. Since when is the least-common denominator a deciding factor in software analysis?
    It is possible that this change was made to 4.0 so that the common code base would be a suitable trunk for later tablet and netbook specific changes, and that 4.1 will be much more flexible so as to support desktop users' normal habits.

By the way, when your say “monitor analysis” you mean “monitor resolution.” This is not to insult your English skills, but just a friendly comment.
    “Competence breeds confidence, just make sure competence always comes first.”

“Attributing a quote from a presidential speech to the president who spoke the words makes as much sense as blaming the local weatherman for a tornado.”

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    My English can't be insulted, don't worry about that. Yes, I mean monitor resolution, the "analysis" is a term used in the Greek language for the correct term, sometimes my mind sticks in the "Greek mode", blame those internal switches which don't work well, after some 54 years.

I just discover another thing missing from FF4. Do you guys see the loading progress bar anywhere? You know, the bar that was filling up as the page was downloading? I can't see it any more.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    Last edited by John; 25th March 2011 at 05:45.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, I had enough!

As we speak, I am downloading good, old Firefox 3.6.16 and I am going to reinstall it as soon as possible. Firefox 4 has hang on me more times during the past 3-4 weeks, than all other releases of Firefox together, all these years I am using Firefox. Never before have I seen the colorful spinning ball so often on my Mac, as I have since the day I downloaded and installed FF4.

If Mozilla doesn't fix FF4, I'll stay with 3.6.16 and then switch to Safari. Life is too short to experiment with buggy software. I do not like being a beta-tester, unless I've been told I am.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

Talking

Ah, change. It's a marvelous thing.

As someone who started with TRS-DOS in '81, I've grown accustomed to change; it just doesn't bother me much any more. 'Bout the only change that truly inconvenienced me was the shift from Fortran II to Fortran 4. Had to rewrite a bunch of code .

Reminds me of that cartoon caption: "As soon as I find out where it's at, somebody moves it."

What bugs me more than change, is search boxes which don't clear the word "search" when you click in them, or bulleted links that won't work unless you click on the teeny bullet symbol, or credit card expiry dialog boxes that start with 2001 (it's 2011, right?)...well, you get the idea.

In all these analyses by developers, I wonder if any do a statistical distribution of function usage. Reminds me of the time a prospect asked, "Can you port this to a DEC PDP?" My answer, "Is that important to you?"

"Well, no," she replied. On to the next topic; saved us all a lot of grief explaining how we would have done it.

At least Shift-F7 brings up the thesarus in Word again.

Best regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    At least Shift-F7 brings up the thesarus in Word again.
    Yes -- What Microsoft calls a Thesaurus. What comes up is so brain-dead it isn't even a passable substitute for a dictionary of synonyms -- which is what most books calling themselves thesauri really are, and that's a far cry short of being a real thesaurus.

For example, I just opened a document in Word. The cursor happened to be in the word "mentioned" when I hit Shift+F7. What do you suppose the "thesaurus" came up with?

"Mention"

How VERY helpful!
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Yes -- What Microsoft calls a Thesaurus. What comes up is so brain-dead it isn't even a passable substitute for a dictionary of synonyms -- which is what most books calling themselves thesauri really are, and that's a far cry short of being a real thesaurus.

For example, I just opened a document in Word. The cursor happened to be in the word "mentioned" when I hit Shift+F7. What do you suppose the "thesaurus" came up with?

"Mention"

How VERY helpful!
    Ah, well...you then "search" on mention. I suppose I'm too used to paper thesari, wherein you don't get verbs with tenses, only the verb. You then supply the tense to the synonym.

It may be lame, but for a writer who is searching for that just-right word, it's a help. Could it be better? Sure.

Best regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Firefox 4 has hang on me more times during the past 3-4 weeks, than all other releases of Firefox together, all these years I am using Firefox.
    That's weird. It must be an Apple thing - I've used Firefox 4 now in two machines, one in Win XP, the other Win 7, and found no issues. It got me longer to get used to the swap in the menus than I expected, however...

On a somewhat related topic, would it be heresy to say that I've started to like Windows 7? It seems to start-up MUCH faster than XP, and it doesn't just look like it started: it gets to the desktop screen AND I can actually do things there, rather than wait another 1-2 minutes for all my antiviral software to initialize. And yes, I run the same anti-virus/spyware in both machines.

I suppose that it is still several times slower than anything with a half-eaten Apple logo on it, but I can live with it! Shut-down is pretty fast, too.

As a matter of course, I've always configured an PC I use to a Windows 2000 appearence. That's easy with XP, but less so in 7... I can get rid of the silly semi-opaque window frames, but the Start Menu structure remains... odd, to me. Still, it's the first new (ish) version of Windows that I seem to like.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 17th April 2011 at 00:33.

Posts liked by others
    There are freeware "skins" you can download to make Win7 look like XP. I agree with you, to an extent. My wife's notebook is running Vista, and with half (or one third) as much RAM my Acer Aspire One netbook with Windoze 7 was considerably faster and more user-friendly than the Vista machine.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I'm running Windows 7 on a netbook, too, a neat little Asus machine I bought in NYC in January. I have XP on an older PC, but it was just about the fastest laptop on the market when I bought it, 3 years ago (it has an Intel T8300 Dual Core processor with 2GB of RAM, for those who know about these things), so I think it's still easily fast enough to compare favorably against a current, single-core processor Netbook.

Vista was/is notorious for being slow and troublesome. I think Microsoft broke a record by replacing it as fast as it did with Win7.

Thanks for the tip about 'skins'. The name implies only an appearance change, which the system can do, too, but I'm looking for a more 'material' change, specifically to do with the 'Start Menu' structure. As it is, it throws all installed software in one, long list. I like to keep my desktop uncluttered, with as few shortcuts as possible, so I rely on the start menu to launch applications... of course all frequently-used applications are right there when I press the button, but I like having a more user-friendly look on all the forgotten stuff I will undoubtedly have acquired, a couple of years later. On the other hand, maybe a never-ending list will work better as a reminder for this purpose.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast