Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controlled Feed Principles

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Oh, I'm certainly no authority. I'm just another guy with a couple 1911s in his house. Johnny has forgotten more about the 1911 that I'll ever learn.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others

Threads

I was just noticin'...A few more of these articles, and the bossman's gonna hafta rename this "The Sticky Gunsmithin'" page.

Posts liked by others

Crimp and feed dynamics.

Great thread on feed principles, Tuner, but what effect does the non crimped case rim have on all of this? Way back When my new 1911 failed to feed I polished the rough frame ramp and rounded the sharp corner of the barrel throat and the problem cleared up. Is this just coincidence or is this a valid modification regardless of bullet type or OAL? And while i'm on the subject, can over-crimp cause accuracy problems? [this is a trick to get you to answer my accuracy query in the trouble shooting post]. Mike H. Buness.

Posts liked by others

Polish

Quote Originally Posted by mike h. buness
    Great thread on feed principles, Tuner, but what effect does the non crimped case rim have on all of this? Way back When my new 1911 failed to feed I polished the rough frame ramp and rounded the sharp corner of the barrel throat and the problem cleared up. Is this just coincidence or is this a valid modification regardless of bullet type or OAL? And while i'm on the subject, can over-crimp cause accuracy problems? [this is a trick to get you to answer my accuracy query in the trouble shooting post]. Mike H. Buness.
    Valid and often-done modification to help alleviate excessive stem-bind. It usually occurs when the barrel sits a little too high in the bed for whatever reason...usually tolerance stack or a slight out-of-spec condition...or the corner is just sharp. Wanna be real careful with that though. Too much, or too deep into the chamber kills case head support. Lightly rounding it is all that should be done. Much better to fix the real problem by getting the barrel lower in the frame bed. It usually only requires 3-5 thousandths.

Sometimes the barrel riding the link causes the round to bind there too. Many things cause the 3-Point Jam besides that corner.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    I was just noticin'...A few more of these articles, and the bossman's gonna hafta rename this "The Sticky Gunsmithin'" page.
    I took the liberty of making this particular thread a "sticky" - and saw it joined quite a few others of yours that were already there. I've said this before, my friend, you ought o compile all these threads and posts into a book. You know just about every member on the M1911.org forum would buy a copy. Maybe even two!
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Great information, Tuner. You really should write that book. I think I've read every post of yours on this and other forums. Currently assembling and fitting a frame and slide into something workable. Your kindly shared knowledge has been a tremendous asset. I thank you for your assistance. Iron bottom.
    xxxxxx Iron bottom sez; Don't let your Rat Terrier hang around with college boys.

Posts liked by others
    You really could buy a Singer if you wrote a book. The last one I read about went for $40,000, I think. I'll buy several copies.

The book would live forever.

You can do it!
    Because I hit what I aim at, that's why.

Posts liked by others

Controlled Feed and the last round in the magazine

Regarding the three-point bind caused by premature camming, is this type of feed jam influenced at all by which round in the magazine is being fed?

I'm wringing out a new gun and have noticed a tendency for it to suffer a three-point jam on the last round in the mag. Experimentation without the recoil system installed show that the last round will sometimes hit the barrel throat and hesitate on a small groove just long enough to force the barrel up a smidgen, resulting tin an excessive feed angle and another visit by our friend, Mr. Three-Point.

The thing that's confusing me is why this appears to happen predominately on the last round. The only thing that comes to mind is that the front of the follower may not be putting quite as much pressure on the bottom of the round being fed as a cartridge in the same location would, letting the last round tip up just a smidgen more than it would if there were another cartridge under it. This explanation seems a bit shaky to me, though.

I suspect a bit of gentle polishing to remove the groove in the barrel throat should fix things, but I want to understand why it's happening in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12