Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 LE duty trigger pull

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Azdogs
    That's actually the way the purposed policy was worded. The question from the administrative side of things was other trigger pulls (Glock) are listed higher in the policy for a minimum.
    But Glocks have NO safeties. The M1911 has two (ignoring the firing pin safety, which doesn't relate to accidental/negligent discharges): the grip safety and the thumb safety. Unless BOTH are disengaged simultaneously, the trigger cannot be pulled and the pistol cannot fire.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    But Glocks have NO safeties. The M1911 has two (ignoring the firing pin safety, which doesn't relate to accidental/negligent discharges): the grip safety and the thumb safety. Unless BOTH are disengaged simultaneously, the trigger cannot be pulled and the pistol cannot fire.
    And, the Glock has more than one "trigger pull." You can have the standard 5.0, or 8.0, or 11+ with the NY-2 module. Mix 'n match connectors and trigger springs will give you the same total poundage with different characters.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    And, the Glock has more than one "trigger pull." You can have the standard 5.0, or 8.0, or 11+ with the NY-2 module.
    ...or 3.5 pounds, for the longer barrelled models.

More to the point, what I would like to know is the +/- deviation of those manufacturers' trigger pulls. Glock (and others) sell the components Walt describes, stating what the resultant pull will be. I have not heard of anyone quoting a 'range' of pull, standard deviation, or other means to say how these things work in practice.

What I DO know, is that when someone at my local (IPSC) range decided to test the trigger pulls of participating Glocks, CZs and other pistols, more than half the Glocks were found to be in the '4 pounds and a bit' range, so they 'should' have been dumped in Open division. I really doubt that all of their owners had fitted them with 3.5lb modules...

[Standard quoted weight of a Glock 17 trigger is 5.5 pounds. Minimum trigger pull weight in IPSC (not USPSA) Production division, is ~5 pounds]
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 20th March 2011 at 07:48.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros
    ...or 3.5 pounds, for the longer barrelled models.

More to the point, what I would like to know is the +/- deviation of those manufacturers' trigger pulls. Glock (and others) sell the components Walt describes, stating what the resultant pull will be. I have not heard of anyone quoting a 'range' of pull, standard deviation, or other means to say how these things work in practice.

What I DO know, is that when someone at my local (IPSC) range decided to test the trigger pulls of participating Glocks, CZs and other pistols, more than half the Glocks were found to be in the '4 pounds and a bit' range, so they 'should' have been dumped in Open division. I really doubt that all of their owners had fitted them with 3.5lb modules...

[Standard quoted weight of a Glock 17 trigger is 5.5 pounds. Minimum trigger pull weight in IPSC (not USPSA) Production division, is ~5 pounds]
    Funny you should bring that up, becase statistics is something I'm supposed to know something about. In my work building service rifles and now 1911s, I need to know where the trigger pull is. There are three common ways to measure trigger pull, and one not-so-common way.

The first is the simple spring scale with memory marker. These are crude at best, and not suitable as measuring devices for building a database of trigger pull samples to create a distribution of pulls for a given weapon.

The second is the NRA-style weight system, wherein you stack weiights on a hook, then attempt to lift them with the trigger. This is the method used at NRA and CMP matches. It's essentially a "No-Go" system. You may be able to infer the weight within a quarter pound, but all that matters is that you be able to lift the minimum weight specified in the rules.

The thrid is the Lyman electronic gauge. This gives the illustion of precision, but one is never sure just how much technique and the character of the break affects the reading. In any case, it's the best method available to the average Joe and Jane to get a sample of readings from which to develop range, mean, mode, distribution, etc.

Finally, there's the Dvorak trigger tester. This sophisticated, and expensive, electronic mesuring system creates a force-distance curve for the entire trigger pull. The data that result can be eye-opening. Rarely is a trigger pull linear, or even monotonic. I've always lusted for one, but haven't yet justified the expensive of what for me would be really a toy.

So for now, the Lyman electronic is the best we have for data gathering, and the NRA gives a highly accurate "NoGo."

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck
    Finally, there's the Dvorak trigger tester. This sophisticated, and expensive, electronic mesuring system creates a force-distance curve for the entire trigger pull.
    I just googled that and... wow!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Our policy for 1911 is 4 lb minimum. I prefer 4 - 4.5 on my duty guns. (our glock policy is anything which is factory glock - so I think the lowest is the 3.5 lb connector which puts the pull at around 5.5 lbs)
    Last edited by Warrior1; 1st April 2011 at 06:10.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Our department authorizes the Series '80 type Colts. Both my duty Colts are NRM stainless Government models. I am one of the O-Frame armorers there. The rangemaster carries a NRM Govt. in blue. Both my guns are set up with trigger pulls just over 5#. The rangemaster's gun is 4 1/2#. We just go by the armorer's manual which indicates 4 1/2# to 7 1/2#. I would not personally care to go below 4 1/2# for street use even if allowed.

Posts liked by others
    Any officer wishing to carry a 1911 pattern pistol must meet the monthly qualification standards and attain an expert or master rating.

For those officers that carry a 1911, the weapon will have a trigger pull of not less than 5lbs. An average is taken from 10 trigger pull tests using NRA weights. Also, all fire control components must be manufactured from tool steel, as well as the barrel bushing and slide stop. (In reality, the officers that carry 1911's either carry slightly modified Colts, Springfields, or Nighthawks.) The weapon must be made of all steel. All safties must be operational. The sideram must be carried condition 1, in a holster with a retaining strap that goes between the frame and cocked hammer. No weapon utilizing a grip actuated firing pin safety will be approved. No weapon will have a barrel length of less than 4.25 inches and the weapon must employ a barrel bushing, with a short recoil spring guide.

All siderams are inspected annually by a certified department armorer.

The above was written by yours truly and the purpose was to make sure that officers who carry the 1911 are keeping it as close to the original design as possible.

It has been my experience that a 5 or 6 lb. trigger is certainly not a hinderance. It is the smoothness, i.e. lack of grit, that makes a trigger good. I also like a bit of takeup as a safety hedge, but very little overtravel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12