Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 1911 to buy for Bullseye

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jwenum
    As far as I know, it's 5"barrels only..Google for ODCMP(?) and look for their rules, OR NRA rulebook should have it also. No beavertail safety,no Commander hammers,etc.
    {Slaps center of forehead}
    There's a whole web community (what a surprise!) devotedto Bullseye pistol, BullseyePistol.com.

Therein you will find the rules, plus answers to questions you haven't yet thought to ask:

There are two general flavors of pistol, the Service Pistol (few mods to the Service Pistol [M1911A1 or M9] are allowed, must look "stock" on the outside) and "Any Pistol," which has limits on sight radius for irons, permits optics, barrel length limited to 10", etc. etc.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    to clarify for you there are two types of bullseye that use a centerfire pistol nra bullseye which is more open so to speak can use optics have external gun mods etc. A totally seperate event is service pistol which has to look exactly like a usgi gun with a few exceptions specifically in the rules. the service pistol matches are governed by cmp rules. if you get a gun that meets the rules for service pistol it can be used in both but the reverse is not true. I'd go for a les baer national match hardball and it can do everything a bullseye gun needs to do. In the regular nra class I use a les baer premier II (NOT legal in service pistol) and am very satisifed with it.

Posts liked by others

Bullseye

Walt, why did hit me in the forehead??? Yeah, 'bullseyepistol' go there all the time to refresh all the great instructions.
    "Carry the battle to them.Don't let them bring it to you.Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything"-Harry S. Truman

Posts liked by others
    my answer is to find an old bullseye gun made by the older smiths from the 60s and 70s. Clark was my all time favorite.. love his Long slide. In good shape they will cost a bit less and be as acccurate as most any thing made today.

Posts liked by others
    Goof-ball in the corner pocket. Well played, Lynnie.
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jgelnn
    my answer is to find an old bullseye gun made by the older smiths from the 60s and 70s. Clark was my all time favorite.. love his Long slide. In good shape they will cost a bit less and be as acccurate as most any thing made today.
    Something like this?

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others

Showoff!!!

What a nice classic Clark!!!!!

Posts liked by others

Bullseye gun

I would suggest that you go to a bullseye match and see what the participants are using. I have a Mountain Competition pistol for my Wad gun with a Caspian custom for my ball gun. I started out with a Para Ordinance 1911 that I still use the lower for my 22 Marvel Precision for my 22 gun. Any 45 that will hold a 3 to 5 inch group at 50 yards is a keeper, regardless of the brand. The only benefit I see for a longslide 1911 is for an increased sight radius if you are using iron sights. Good luck on your search. PS bring lots of money, you will need it.

Most stock 1911's fail to meet the group requirement for bullseye pistol, unless you buy a big bucks gun like a Les Baer, MCP etc. Several guys I shoot with get decent scores with a Springfield Range Officer.
    Last edited by penman53; 22nd November 2011 at 21:00. Reason: added info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12