Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: On Duty 1911 Help

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

On Duty 1911 Help

I am a firearms instructor at a small PD.

Currently our agency uses Glock 21s. These are scheduled to be retired by 2012.

The department will keep .45ACP is it's caliber of choice.

The Glock will be replaced with either a Sig 220 or Springfield XDM. This weapon will be for the "non-gun guys."

We would like to give the gun guys on the PD the option of a 1911 from whatever manufacturer is chosen for the DA platform.

The PD will not pay more than the cost of the DA platform, so the officer will have to make up the difference in price between the DA and 1911. IF the weapon is ever used and lost to evidence, then the PD will make the officer whole.

Where can I find data on NDs / safety issues in the 1911 versus plastic guns, SA/DA guns, or DAO guns?

Does anyone out there have any info or studies that were done on 1911 duty use so we do not have to reinvent the wheel?

What about information on 1911 transition training?

What did I not ask that I should have?

Reply here, via PM, or direct e-mail.

Thanks!

John

Posts liked by others
    Many Agencies in Colorado authorize or issue the XD/XDM 45 for duty use. It has proven it self to be reliable and accurate.

Typically 1911's are authorized after completion of the probationary period and a transition course is mandatory.

Mainly to gain the functional muscle memory to thumb the safety off and keep the trigger finger OUT of the trigger guard....and then when holstering to automatically reingage the safety when holstering.

Typically a day long 300-500 round transition course.

There was a Chief in Wyoming keeping track of AD's DAO vs. 1911's and 1911's were shown to have the least # of ad's due to training and descipline......heck one of Nancy Reagan's Super Squirrel Detail just shot himself on the range while qualifying in San Luis Obispo's Sheriff's Range.....forgot to decock his SIG and forgot to remove his FINGER from the trigger guard while trying to reholster the pistol...BOOM !

Posts liked by others
    How small of a PD you got? Mine is a 5 man department and had Glocks for well as long as i could remember. Our Chief is not a gun guy and carried a 9mm Glock on duty. But we had the option to buy our own gun as long as it was a good brand.

I bought the "Gun Digest Book of the 1911 Volume 2 by patrick Sweney. AWESOME book for LEO use of the 1911. He goes into detail about not just getting a 1911 but advises against ones with internal safeties ie. S&W, Kimber, Colt Series 80. And other stuff, there is like 30 pages of stuff about policy and procedure.

Also a demo would be good. My Capt. was looking at getting one and all his Drug Task Force guys were saying how unsafe the gun was. I explained to him the Springfield Mil-Spec & Loaded that I carry and about all teh safeties of the gun, titanium firing pin, the sear, grip safety, thumb safety. Also I always ask someone after telling them about the gun, set a Glock and 1911 out both loaded and which one would a small child if god forbid got ahold of one,would be discharged. Not the 1911, Glock most certainly.

Also the 1911 is not a regular cops gun, it's more of a gun guru's gun. Being able to tear it apart, know how it works and all that stuff.

Hope that helps,

Kansas
    Don't over engineer it, don't ibm it, don't mit it and don't all go for a road scholar in malfunction clearance, just tap and rack-Clint Smith
    Last edited by Kansas191150; 20th February 2011 at 18:24.

Posts liked by others
    Here's a thread with essentially the same request for 1911 duty info., you may want to make contact with these folks as well.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=89488
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Another option is as my agency does. Allow the "gun guys" to provide their own. Models chosen still have to meet minimums and have approval of the firearms board. Agency armors and provides ammo and duty gear. We require 16 hours of transition training.

LHS

Posts liked by others
    There are two dept.'s in WA state you can contact, as they issue a 1911.

Tacoma and Kirkland P.D.'s
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others

Cool

My department is also a 5 man with 1 parttime. As firearms instructor, I have gotten a policy set up so an officer may elect to go with an issued Glock(21SF, 22, 23, or 35) or provided his own gun. The policy states that the firearms instructor must approve the gun. At this time, myself and only one other officer are carrying anything other then the issued Glock. We both carry 1911's, me a Springfield, the other officer(part time for our PD, full time County Constable) a nickeled Colt.
    We do have one officer who is thinking about carrying his favorite gun, a S&W Mod. 65. I have encouraged him as he can shoot that thing! I feel if you carry what you are confidant in you'll produce better results!

Posts liked by others
    JPD you sound just like our firearm's guy, technically he's the firearm instructor but we both do it. I joked with him and said I'm getting a Ruger GP100 357 and gonna start carring that baby. He ain't got no problem with that. I am actually in the process of getting one and really do wanna carry it, I'm a revolver guy at heart.

Kansas
    Don't over engineer it, don't ibm it, don't mit it and don't all go for a road scholar in malfunction clearance, just tap and rack-Clint Smith