Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Facebook

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Facebook

OK guys, I admit I am a social-networking handicapped person.

I mean I logged in my Facebook account today, and I noticed that someone who I have accepted as a friend (an old associate in the Folders-R-Us.ORG site) has posted a message in my account with the well-known "F" word in big, capital letters. I am not sure it is in my account, or if it is just that whatever my "friends" post in their account, is also shown in mine, but I really hate it.

So all you socially networked people, can you please explain to me how I can delete that message? How this works? How can I make that message disappear from my area? Do I have any means to delete it or maybe it'll disappear, if I just delete this guy from my "friends"?

If not, I am shutting down my Facebook account and call it a day. I hate this!

Edited to add: OK, I just removed that person from my friends and the rude message disappeared. Good Lord!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 18th February 2011 at 01:52.

Posts liked by others
    I was really hooked to Facebook when I first tried it, about 2 years ago. It lasted about a month, before starting to annoy me, for many reasons. I then logged in again, stopped it from sending me e-mails for ANY reason, made my profile information invisible, and logged out.

I might try twitter, as it sounds like a nice way to keep up with some specialized news' headlines without browsing through a sea of websites for no reason, but I'm done with Facebook.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I have enuf problems without allowing the world to profile me from facebook.
    When Death looks you in the eye and smiles,smile back with a 45.

Posts liked by others
    You can remove the person, as you did. You can also click the little 'x' in the top right of their message, and choose either "Hide this post" or "Hide all by this person".

Posts liked by others
    Hi John, Wow! I don't understand why someone would send a message like that??? In addition to potential offensive postings, everyone that uses facebook, twitter or any of these social networking tools needs to be aware that others are looking at you. What ever you post may keep you from getting jobs, loans, etc... Folks that are not welcomed as friends are not supposed to have access to your stuff!!?? According to our IT Geeks that's really not the case. As a caution, just be careful what you post.
    Have fun

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I guess the way Facebook works is that if you have selected someone as a friend, whatever he writes in his board (wall, area, whatever they call it) is reflected in all his friends areas. So this guy had posted a message I couldn't even understand, but there was the "F" word, in caps, right on the first line!

I tried to delete it, from within my page, but I couldn't find a way, so I just removed him from my friends. Good ridance!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    The way it works is, all your "friends" postings, show up on your "news feed", you can choose who is posted to your news feed by "edit options" at the bottom of the page, and still keep them as your friends, and check back now and again to see what they are doing, some folks are irritating in large doses, no one else can see your news feed. Now if someone posts on your wall, everyone can see it if they visit your profile as your "friends", but you can also make it so no one but yourself, can post on your wall. you can also make your "wall" visible only to your friends, whew! took awhile for me to get it, but that's what I have learned.
    Tom @ AGC

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I guess I am not that patient! LoRL
    John Caradimas SV1CEC