Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland 070 holster

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Safariland 070 holster

I currently use one for my Glock 21 SF. I'm hoping to be carrying a 1911 here pretty soon. Anyone ever use this same holster for a 1911. Thoughts?

Posts liked by others
    If the holster is for your Glock SF 21, a 1911 will not work. You will have to order a holster made for a 1911.

Welcome to the forum.

Posts liked by others
    I'm sorry. Maybe my post was confusing.

Safariland makes a 070 holster for 1911's. I know regardless of the model number, one holster won't fit multiple guns. I'm wondering if anyone uses/has used a 070 holster for a 1911.

Posts liked by others
    I used a 070 for my Sig 229, however I have switched to the Safariland ALS series holsters. I noticed that in colder weather, the middle finger snap can sometimes get caught and will keep you from being able to un-holster your weapon. There are several guys in my department who leave that snap undone, however I feel your defeating it's purpose by doing such.

A few years back an officer was shot in the line of duty just about 60 miles to the east of where I work.... a review of the traffic stop showed that the officer (who had a 070) could not draw her weapon and fire. That department used to carry the baton behind the holster and determined that the Officers baton got in the way of the bottom snap, thus making it impossible to undo both snaps and draw the weapon.

The best advice I can give is to make sure you practice and are 115% comfortable with the holster, as well as make sure your duty belt is arranged in such a way that nothing will hinder you from being able to unholster the weapon.
    Current LEO and NRA Life Member
    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these"

-George Washington Carver

Posts liked by others
    Yeah about 2 years ago there was a guy I worked with who had the 070 who couldn't get his gun out of his holster. Lucky for him the suspects gun malfunctioned.

I've been using mine for a little over 2 years. And I agree, leaving the middle snap unsapped is pointless. I practiced approx. 500 draws before I started carrying it on duty and still to this day practice every day I work.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

I've used the 070 for 15+ years for several pistols, including 1911's. Some 1911 thumb safeties get knocked off by the top snap, others don't.

This holster works well, but absolutely requires practice - until we can't do it wrong - before using it on the street. No ifs, ands, butts, or excuses about it; period. I still practice before every shift. When I run my range, I require the guys use every snap or safety device on the holster they have.

I haven't checked the statistics lately, but for the first ten years I used the 070, we only found two cases (nationwide) of a suspect being able to get an Officer's gun out of this holster. Both times, it took the suspect so long to do it, the Officer regained his senses, interrupted the suspect and got his gun back.

When a previous Chief switched to Sig P series only and began allowing the rotating hood holsters, we had two good gun grabs the first 18 months or so.

Pick your holster, know what the issues are with that design, and train accordingly. Our best to you and yours.

John from 1849 Sutter's Fort. Retired to Texas.
    Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
    "Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
    Last edited by Poohgyrr; 29th January 2011 at 07:45.

Posts liked by others
    I have used the 070 for 10+ years with no problems. About 5 years ago a friend of mine was in a huge fight with a suspect who was able to rip the holster off of his belt, but still could not get the weapon out of the holster.

Posts liked by others
    I'm a little late to the game, but maybe this will help.

I've used an 070 for Glock or HK USP since 2003. NEVER had a problem. I recently switched PD's and am now authorized to carry 1911. I started with the 070 but wanted to carry with a light mounted. I went to the rotating hood, which took some training to transition into. There was *minimal* effort into transitioning from one gun to the other's holster. There is a much greater cant on the 1911 holster, and in my cases the thumb snap had a much smaller piece of leather to disengage the thumb snap on the 1911 version.

People say it's "an old technology," I can't say I subscribe to that. It's a proven technology, and it keeps it simple. Were I manufacturing holsters, I'd figure out how to make an 070 accomodate a mounted light. I strongly prefer that

Posts liked by others
    I agree with you Dave. My department switched to the rotating hood about 5 years ago and I have seen several failures with the hoods. I have never seen an 070 failure.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohgyrr
    I've used the 070 for 15+ years for several pistols, including 1911's. Some 1911 thumb safeties get knocked off by the top snap, others don't.

This holster works well, but absolutely requires practice - until we can't do it wrong - before using it on the street. No ifs, ands, butts, or excuses about it; period. I still practice before every shift. When I run my range, I require the guys use every snap or safety device on the holster they have.

I haven't checked the statistics lately, but for the first ten years I used the 070, we only found two cases (nationwide) of a suspect being able to get an Officer's gun out of this holster. Both times, it took the suspect so long to do it, the Officer regained his senses, interrupted the suspect and got his gun back.

When a previous Chief switched to Sig P series only and began allowing the rotating hood holsters, we had two good gun grabs the first 18 months or so.

Pick your holster, know what the issues are with that design, and train accordingly. Our best to you and yours.

John how do you carry all of that stuff on your belt? That would kill my back. Maybe I'm just old, but I can't sit in a car with anything on my back. On the plus side I have enough girth to not have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast