Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Tac Armor-Tuff Finish test

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

X-Tac Armor-Tuff Finish test

As promised from the E-Zine article on the Wilson Combat X-Tac, which can be viewed here; http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=271#post271 , the testing has now started on the Armor-Tuff finish.

The X-Tac will be carried in a Safariland model 6360 ALS Level III retention duty holster. Info. on the holster can be seen here; http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6360 The full model number on the holster used is 6360-83-131.

The X-Tac fits the holster very well. It locks into the ALS internal locking device with some up and down play, which is normal. The hood rotates into its locking position, coming to rest against the hammer.
    During some DT (Defensive Tactics) drills for weapon retention, the holster held the X-Tac as it should, while I on the other was being thrown around like an old dirty sock!

Since the 500 round test for the article, the gun has had another 125 rounds through it this last Thursday, 12/9 during a low light qualification. Although the qualification was only 36 rounds, I ran it through a few scenarios using both ambient and my Surefire G2Z LED light.
    The gun ran as it should, never missing a beat. But let me say here, having a fiber optic front sight while shooting in low light conditions renders the sight the same as having a black post. The wide notch rear sight was a welcomed blessing, and was able to find the front sight when using the flashlight, but would have made things easier if there was something glowing out there for a quicker reference.

The finish? so far so good. Through a few hours of dry fire practice, which not only includes holster/draw work, but full weapon manipulation; malfunction clearance and reloads, and weapon retention drills, the holster/draw count is right at 65. There were a few scuffs on top of the slide, just rear of the ejection port, where it contacts the ALS portion of the holster. So far those scuffs have been plastic transfer and have easily been removed, nothing permanent at this point.

I will update this thread as the gun progresses through this testing portion of the article, with round as well as holster/draw counts being tallied. Am looking at posting updates every two weeks, unless something significant happens with the gun. Such as, significant round and holster/draw count etc.

If you have any specific things you would like to see during the finish test, which will be ongoing for the next six months, post them here and I'll see if they can be worked into the process.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.
    Last edited by wichaka; 11th December 2010 at 15:00.

Posts liked by others
    sounds like an interesting test, and as you said in the E-Zine review you're going to carry it on duty correct ?

I would be interested in knowing how many times you field strip the pistol and close up photos of any wear experienced, say around the bushing and plug.

though the shape of the rear sight doesn't particularly lend itself to this, do you anticipate performing any one handed manipulations off hard surfaces or your belt ?

thanks for your efforts wichaka.
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman
    sounds like an interesting test, and as you said in the E-Zine review you're going to carry it on duty correct ?

I would be interested in knowing how many times you field strip the pistol and close up photos of any wear experienced, say around the bushing and plug.

though the shape of the rear sight doesn't particularly lend itself to this, do you anticipate performing any one handed manipulations off hard surfaces or your belt ?

thanks for your efforts wichaka.

Hi Deadman,
    The X-Tac sight has a pronounced rear shelf.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka
    As promised from the E-Zine article on the Wilson Combat X-Tac, which can be viewed here; http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=271#post271 , the testing has now started on the Armor-Tuff finish.

The X-Tac will be carried in a Safariland model 6360 ALS Level III retention duty holster. Info. on the holster can be seen here; http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6360 The full model number on the holster used is 6360-83-131.

The X-Tac fits the holster very well. It locks into the ALS internal locking device with some up and down play, which is normal. The hood rotates into its locking position, coming to rest against the hammer.
    During some DT (Defensive Tactics) drills for weapon retention, the holster held the X-Tac as it should, while I on the other was being thrown around like an old dirty sock!

Since the 500 round test for the article, the gun has had another 125 rounds through it this last Thursday, 12/9 during a low light qualification. Although the qualification was only 36 rounds, I ran it through a few scenarios using both ambient and my Surefire G2Z LED light.
    The gun ran as it should, never missing a beat. But let me say here, having a fiber optic front sight while shooting in low light conditions renders the sight the same as having a black post. The wide notch rear sight was a welcomed blessing, and was able to find the front sight when using the flashlight, but would have made things easier if there was something glowing out there for a quicker reference.

The finish? so far so good. Through a few hours of dry fire practice, which not only includes holster/draw work, but full weapon manipulation; malfunction clearance and reloads, and weapon retention drills, the holster/draw count is right at 65. There were a few scuffs on top of the slide, just rear of the ejection port, where it contacts the ALS portion of the holster. So far those scuffs have been plastic transfer and have easily been removed, nothing permanent at this point.

I will update this thread as the gun progresses through this testing portion of the article, with round as well as holster/draw counts being tallied. Am looking at posting updates every two weeks, unless something significant happens with the gun. Such as, significant round and holster/draw count etc.

If you have any specific things you would like to see during the finish test, which will be ongoing for the next six months, post them here and I'll see if they can be worked into the process.
    We look forward to your results. One word on sights-tritium is an upgrade to the X-Tac if so desired.

Thanks!
    WCR

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep
    Hi Deadman,
    The X-Tac sight has a pronounced rear shelf.
    perhaps it's the angle the profile shots are taken at, but even in the close up of the rear sight taken from behind, the leading edge of the rear sight appears ramped.

more of a Novak type profile.
    blending as it goes forward, flush with the slide.

Posts liked by others
    Deadman, yes it is being carried on duty.

The photo taken of the rear sight in the article did not do it justice, in showing the "shelf" that allows one handed racking of the slide. It does have the pronounced shelf, and yes I will be doing some training with one hand racking, so photos will be posted of the wear on the rear sight as well.

I can't find a photo of one on the Wilson Combat site, I may have missed it...but I will post one later showing the profile of the sight.

As I mentioned in the article, an optional upgrade would be a tritium front sight, or the set of front/rear if desired. My choice would be to keep the plain black rear, and go with just a front sight with the glow tube.

Posts liked by others
    thank you wichaka, and Wilson rep.

I am looking for a 5" 1911.
    in spite of my " no more guns for me " thread.

I would probably change the sights though as I am enamored of Heinie's.
    but...

two things are mandatory for me.

the ability to re holster one handed.
    and to do the same with the pistol, since often your hand will be shot as the mind focuses on the " threat "...

Posts liked by others
    The X-Tac does not have an ambi-safety, so keep that in mind as well.

Posts liked by others
    Here's a pic of the rear sight. The shelf isn't sharp cut, but it easily holds to allow one hand racking. I did some one hand racking drills, and it didn't slip off the belt. Could even slide down my pants and the gun would rack.

Posts liked by others
    thanks for the photo.
    I'll continue to monitor this thread for it's original intent, the finish.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast