Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Series 70 drop tests

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    Outstanding Walt! I didn't know you were involved with the test (although I'm not surprised). I had seen the still photos but not the actual drop.

Sort of like whiplash? Interesting theory.
    Thanks, Garrett.

We have a little team learning and building and building and learning...more will dribble out over time. For example, we're finishing up the definitive Cerakote Application Guide. But, that's for another thread.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Best regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and NEW Owner's Guides

Posts liked by others
    John,
    I have read several accounts of drop tests with the 1911. There are a lot of theoretical discussions with formulas for inertia, energy, etc. At some point we need to put these theories to the test. The recent test that Walt and Greg helped with used a real firearm. This accounts for the difference in the results. It's also easy to see why more people don't drop test their 1911. It's a lot of work and it damages the pistol.

Drake

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 3112
    The recent test that Walt and Greg helped with used a real firearm. This accounts for the difference in the results.
    Drake -

I can't dispute your results, because they are documented. However, whether you used a complete pistol or just a slide and barrel does NOT account for the difference. I have already explained why.

There's something else going on.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Drake -

I can't dispute your results, because they are documented. However, whether you used a complete pistol or just a slide and barrel does NOT account for the difference. I have already explained why.

There's something else going on.
    We'd sure like to know why, too! Say...if you're in the neighborhood, stop on by . Interested parties are welcome to participate.

Best regards,

Walt
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, NEW The 10/22 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guide,
    The M14

Posts liked by others
    This is a great discussion. I went to engineering school about 35 years ago. I can see the scientific merits for all arguments. Anyone out there with skills sharp enough to do a vector analysis? I used to know that stuff but old age... Nuff said.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BadaBing11
    This is a great discussion. I went to engineering school about 35 years ago. I can see the scientific merits for all arguments. Anyone out there with skills sharp enough to do a vector analysis? I used to know that stuff but old age... Nuff said.
    I have a couple of formal texts on firearms design...the energy equations for firing pins are non-trivial. Alas, I'm busy on an important project so it will be a fair piece down the road before I can turn my attention to the analysis . It's been 42 years since I got my SM, 38 since I last formally practiced the art.

Regards,

Walt
    The M14

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Walt!

It would probably take me the rest of my lifetime to go back and figure out all that stuff. Heaven knows this is probably the first time in 35 years where I've even seen an opportunity to use those learnings.

Ok make that the second time. First time was proving how a sailboat could sail into the wind.

Best regards,

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    The American Rifleman had a note in the December issue about the 1911 hammer energy.

I think they said the E=MV2. (I couldn't get the 2 to superscript) Energy = Mass times Velocity squared. The Mass is easy to determine but the velocity of the hammer is an unknown at this point.

Since the drop test is not affected by the velocity of the hammer, as they were looking at in the article, could we determine the velocity of the gun falling? I assume 32 feet per second if I remember right.

If we plugged in the mass of the different firing pins and came up with the energy for each we might determine what energy factor is needed to cause the pistol to fire. I’m not the one to do the math on this.

Walt, you made a great point about the rebound. I had never considered it.

Greg

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I would be interested to see what the results would be, if the trigger was not in the pistol. I guess I am trying to figure out, why there are so different results between the two tests and I am trying to eliminate the trigger rebouncing effect, after the pistol hits the ground.

Of course, the grip safety is not depressed, so there is no logical way for the trigger to fire the weapon. Just thinking out loud guys.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 26th November 2010 at 10:51.

Posts liked by others
    They were all inertia fires.

The hammer did slip to half cock on some of the higher drops but the hammer never hit the firing pin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast