Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .45ACP Armor Piercing Rounds

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

.45ACP Armor Piercing Rounds

How's it going guys? I just thought I'd share some new bullets I got at a local gun show. I don't know if these classify as illegal for civilians in the US, but they are definitely interesting. . .

They are called H.E.A.T Dart Tip Rounds. They are advertised as "armor piercing" rounds. I recall seeing a video on .45 armor piercing rounds from Belgium and the two have a similar design.
    The makers and distributors of these bullets claim that they can penetrate solid 1/4th in. thick steel plate and still be lethal on the other end. I'm not too sure how well they do against kevlar, but if anyone is willing to pay for a couple of vests, I'd gladly try them out!

Pics:

Thanks for viewing

Posts liked by others
    Uh......one thing comes to mind.

Will they feed okay? LOL
    Nice sharp pix ya got there.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    That looks... scary, for baddies and aluminium frame ramps alike!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    That looks... scary, for baddies and aluminium frame ramps alike!
    LOL!!

I didn't think of the ramp damage.
    that might act like a center punch with every feed cycle

..L.T.A.

Posts liked by others
    interesting.

but even if you could find 'em, why ?
    they'd never go in a pistol of mine.
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    I think I'll be a skeptic on this until I see a successful test. The downrange punch of a .45 ACP round is limited by it's low velocity. With some of the bullet being steel, the mass (not mentioned) is still 230 gr. or less, so energy remains similar to (or less than) a standard .45 ACP. And, it doesn't look, from the pics, as if the core is bonded to the remaining bullet very well, so the core will likely shed the jacket upon impact, thereby reducing the mass of the penetrator. So, this bullet might make a nice dent, but will run out of gas so fast it won't be able to finish the job. Hope you didn't spend much on them and hope you don't have a Commander or other aluminum-framed pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    And what is the purpose of these rounds? I mean, who in his sane mind would buy these, unless he is an outlaw?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Jeepers. I wonder if the pointy part is depleted uranium!
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    And remember, everyone, these rounds may be illegal where you live.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I'm wondering if this is a joke. Adding something in the cavity of a normal JHP bullet is usually done because this 'something' is lighter than the rest of the bullet (that's made out of lead), so it slows down faster upon impact than the lead, making the lead deform around it and therefore, expand faster.

Okay?

So, the problem: first of all, if you really want to make a bullet that goes through armor, starting with a bullet design that expands upon impact, isn't very clever, because it will need to rip an even bigger hole to go through. Making it a two-part design, with only a small centerpiece going through armor, just doesn't sound right, because you'd think that, being a .45 (i.e. not very fast), it would need all its mass to stay together, if it is to achieve anything. That's why the 5.7x28 mm armor-piercing rounds for FN's pistol and sub-gun duo, are just tiny, pointy rifle-like bullets, travelling really fast.

I might well be missing something, but I don't believe the rounds shown in the first post to be armor-piercing.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast