Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of the Umarex/Colt M4 .22 LR Carbine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Review of the Umarex/Colt M4 .22 LR Carbine

The review for the Umarex/Colt M4 .22 LR Carbine has been published in the M1911.ORG E-zine. You may view the evaluation http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=56

Please use this thread to discuss the review.
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    Great review Steve! You really covered things well and answered every question I had about this little rifle.

I think Colt/Umarex have a winner on their hands with this one. The going rates on complete .22lr AR uppers with one mag are in the $400 range so a complete rifle for just a little more (and a Colt at that) should do well.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    The going rates on complete .22lr AR uppers with one mag are in the $400 range ...
    Where can I buy a .22LR upper for $400? The Colt/Umarex "weapons" aren't legal in states that still have their own, home-grown AWBs in place, so for me the options are severely limited. I don't want to use a bolt/chamber insert conversion, but complete uppers that I've seen cost as much as my complete AR-15 cost.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Great review, Steve. It looks like a very cool rifle.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Thanks steve, great job....

Posts liked by others
    Great job my friend.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Where can I buy a .22LR upper for $400?
    Here's a CMMG version
    http://www.calssportingarmory.com/CM.../cmmg10298.htm

Here's one from Olympic Arms
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-484071

There are probably some Bushmaster's and DPMS options out there as well.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Here's a CMMG version
    http://www.calssportingarmory.com/CM.../cmmg10298.htm

Here's one from Olympic Arms
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-484071

The Olympic looks interesting ... except that it's a pre-ban configuration. The other one isn't a complete unit -- it doesn't include a charging handle, bolt assembly or magazine. Completing it would run the price up to around $500 or more.

Guess I keep looking.

Thanks.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I checked Bushmaster's web site, and it appears they do not produce a .22 LR upper.

Hawkmoon and I have discussed this situation, and the restrictions he faces make his task quite daunting. I am thankful I don't have to deal with the same issues.

My thanks to those of you who have responded favorably to the review. As stated in the article, I had gotten away from any form of rifle shooting for the last several years. The Umarex/Colt was so much fun, I'm seriously contemplating a return to that enjoyable form of recreation.
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    The Olympic looks interesting ... except that it's a pre-ban configuration.
    Ah, sorry I forgot you guys are restricted up there. Didn't know pre- or post made a difference on the upper, I though it was only the lower.

The other one isn't a complete unit -- it doesn't include a charging handle, bolt assembly or magazine. Completing it would run the price up to around $500 or more.
    Are you sure? Check CMMG's direct sale website or email them. They describe the upper like this:
    - 16 inch W.A.S.P. steel barrel
    - 1/16 inch twist
    - Mil-Spec 1/2x28 threaded muzzle
    - Carbon Steel Barrel
    - F marked Triangle Front Sight
    - Live Round Extraction
    - Anti-Jam Charging Handle
    - Firing Pin retained by standard AR15/M16 Cotter pin
    - Mil-Spec M4 Receiver with Ceramic Finish
    - Gas Deflector
    - A1 Flash Hider

They also list a stainless bolt as a $30 upgrade, and mags are 3 for $59. That would put you at about $450 before shipping.
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/...arked-FSB-1513

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast