Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I hate Adobe and their products

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I'm only chiming in to say I agree 100%. Flash is the most reprehensible "enhancement" ever to hit the WWW. I have "ClickToFlash" installed in Safari that disables all flash items unless you click on them (individually). Acrobat seems to want to update itself every 3 days on my work laptop.

I've been a very happy GIMP user for years and years. I don't do anything particularly exciting (t-shirt and logo designs, and a tiny amount of photo manipulation) but I've never needed more than its vast capabilities can provide.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Adobe just announced their new Photoshop Elements 9 in Photokina show in Germany. So they have a special web page to go to, in order to read about it and order it. Well, guess what? When you try to order it, PSE 9 is nowhere to be seen in their products list, only PSE 8. Oh, and let me not forget that their ordering page is probably flash-based, and scrolling in it, is NOT allowed with my Apple mouse. Is that Adobe's revenge for Apple not allowing Flash in the iDevices?!? So what sort of a company is this, that they have a big announcement in a major trade show, and when you try to buy their product, they do not sell it?!? When Apple announced Aperture 3, you could download it the same day. Why can't Adobe do the same?!?
    This kind of “soft launch” has come to be expected in just about every facet of the computer industry. Whether it's a new CPU that can't be bought for another six weeks, a video card that hasn't actually begun RTM (release to market) manufacturing, or a program (“application” to you Apple folks) for which the documentation is still being edited...we're all expected to know what they meant to say. For another perspective on the issue, ask a South African what “I will do it just now” means.
    Need more? Flash itself is a pain in the posterior. I hate web sites which use it. Why? Simple: each Flash developer considers it his mission to create his own navigation standards and you have to spend time figuring out how things work. For example: in every HTML web site, you right-click and select back, to return to the previous web page you were in. Not in Adobe's ordering page, it doesn't work dear visitors, we are sorry.
    To be fair, that's not a problem exclusive to Flash. Your right-click menu is a function of the web browser, not the web page you're viewing. Your web browser hands over a certain amount of control to the plugin currently in use; you might be using the Flash plugin, the VLC media player plugin, or a PDF viewer plugin...every such plugin will supersede the core functionality of the web browser. It is the nature of the beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR
    Adobe has to charge so much because it has to make up R&D cost, loss from amateurs pirating discs, and all the while making a profit.
    Except that virtually every technology company in the United States of America writes its R&D costs off on its taxes. As such, every American tax payer has already helped Adobe, IBM, TI, and dozens of other companies to cover their R&D costs. A check of Adobe's SEC filings should show if they're engaged in this common practice, but I can tell you right now that the odds of finding a large tech company which doesn't use this trick are similar to the odds of finding a Kosher deli which doesn't sell bagels.
    Oh, and as far as price. It may seem that Adobe is expensive to an amateur. But to Pro's that have several Nikon D3's and bags of Pro lenses. Plus have all the lighting equipment, computers, building, utilities, insurance, advertising, retirement, heathcare, taxes, vehicular cost, vehicle insurance, gas, and any other cost I may have forgotten about....

A couple of grand in software costs is a drop in the bucket, and is just a cost of doing first class business. My utilities bills add up more than software costs.
    This is why such expensive software is allowed to survive in the marketplace. It is also why some people will pay more than $50,000 for a car.

What is the intrinsic worth of Photoshop? How does that compare to the cost of Photoshop? Now how does that compare to the upgrade pricing for Photoshop? Finally, how does that compare to the amount of code reuse among Photoshop versions? I have nothing against profit, provided the pursuit of it doesn't harm society [see also: Oil Companies].

All “digital content creation software” (as though we're not all creating content with word processors, email clients, and web browsers) is expensive. How much easier would it be for the world's media companies, large and small, to operate if no program cost more than $500? Combine Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Maya (or any other commercial 3D modeling software), and you've got a decent workflow for the creation and delivery of 3D animation...but at what cost? Why should this barrier to entry be consistently high for 20 years? Things are better now than they were, but the barrier is still fundamentally a barrier.

I know I'm not likely to sway you with these comments, but I really would like to know when people are going to wake up and demand better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyJaunte
    Acrobat seems to want to update itself every 3 days on my work laptop.
    Though not every Adobe update is related to security, Acrobat itself is so riddled with insecure code that you should be grateful for every update you're offered. Seriously, update consistently and try to find a way to do without Acrobat.
    “Competence breeds confidence, just make sure competence always comes first.”

“Attributing a quote from a presidential speech to the president who spoke the words makes as much sense as blaming the local weatherman for a tornado.”

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    But for true editing prowess....Photoshop is King.
    I agree, I have seen its powers some years ago, by a cousin of mine who is a pro. You can do amazing things with PS.

And of course, you are right about the cost being minimal for a pro. I have to disagree though about Aperture being for amateurs. If you want an organizing and filing program, with significant editing capabilities (which are not near those of PS though), Aperture is a marvel. I believe Aperture is targeted more towards "photographers" and less towards "image creators". Definitions are in order:

"Photographers" : those who need to edit their pictures to correct minor mistakes or errors made during shooting. But basically, their final images are not that far from the originals.

"Image creators" : those who create whole new images from their pictures, the new images having (sometimes) very little to do with the original pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyJaunte
    Flash is the most reprehensible "enhancement" ever to hit the WWW.
    Not that I love Steve Jobs (I do love his products though) but I "congratulated" him when he decided to dump Flash from Apple's mobile devices.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Oooops, we cross-posted with Robstafarian.

Some very good points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian
    Though not every Adobe update is related to security, Acrobat itself is so riddled with insecure code that you should be grateful for every update you're offered. Seriously, update consistently and try to find a way to do without Acrobat.
    Absolutely! Thank God, I switched to Mac three years ago and I can say that I no longer need Acrobat! Preview is so much nicer than Acrobat!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I have also had it with Adobe and use Capture NX for most to my PP'ing and if necessary to do something more I will use PSP 12. besides just thing of all the extra guns and stuff I can buy with the money I save on Adobe.
    Colt Gold Cup .45cal, Para GI Expert, Kimber SS Custom II, SA Champion Operator, Glock 17,
    Taurus PT 709, Ruger SP101 .357, DPMS AR
    Member USCCA, NRA, GOA & 2nd AF, CWFL.
    Miami, Fl.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafoxfla
    I have also had it with Adobe and use Capture NX for most to my PP'ing and if necessary to do something more I will use PSP 12. besides just thing of all the extra guns and stuff I can buy with the money I save on Adobe.
    I'm still using the last version JASC put out PSP 9. When that dies I will move to Gimp. I have used them all through they years but to me Corel is the end of a product not creating a new one. They have pretty much destroyed every program they have purchased from Painter through PSP. They want to push their over priced programs on you instead of the really good software.

Now as for photography, I'm pretty much a snap shot shooter though I do own a Canon EOS DSLR. Their software included and IrfanView is pretty much all I need to take care of my photo even in CRW format. I got off of Adobe with Win 3 years ago. Now if I was a professional earning a living based on my photo skills that would be different.
    Joe

Posts liked by others
    For the record, I use GIMP for 2D work and either Blender or Google SketchUp (via WINE) for 3D work. I am a Linux user of just barely less than nine years, and I haven't even had a Windows installation available to me for the last 17 months.

If my considerable expertise can be of help to anyone on this site, don't hesitate to ask. Come to think of it, I never heard back about my offer to work in the help desk subforum.

“Attributing a quote from a presidential speech to the president who spoke the words makes as much sense as blaming the local weatherman for a tornado.”

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I would be happy to have someone taking care of the HelpDesk (although we do not receive too many questions in it), however, most of the questions asked there, are about the intricacies of the VBulletin software we use here. Unless you are familiar with it, I do not think you would be able to answer them. Your offer is greatly appreciated though.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I would be happy to have someone taking care of the HelpDesk (although we do not receive too many questions in it), however, most of the questions asked there, are about the intricacies of the VBulletin software we use here. Unless you are familiar with it, I do not think you would be able to answer them. Your offer is greatly appreciated though.
    I couldn't help with any PHP related questions, but I've used a vBulletin-powered forum for five years now. Hawkmoon can attest to my ability to communicate my technical knowledge in a clear and (relatively) concise manner.

I can't promise I'll be the person you need, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, I'll work on this. Let's take it to the Private Message system from now on.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12