Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Forensic/Technical Question 1911 Style Airsoft Pistols

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Forensic/Technical Question 1911 Style Airsoft Pistols

Hello,
    New member and first post.
    I am a firearms criminalist working on a case involving the identification of an airsoft pistol. One aspect of my research is that I need to confirm if any of the 1911 configuration airsoft pistols are capable of using original or aftermarket grips manufactured for the actual firearms, such as the Colt Government and Commander series pistols. My understanding is that there are several airsoft manufacturers, one such being Western Arms, that can use the actual grips from the firearms that they are patterned after.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Posts liked by others
    That is correct. Western Arms is one I have some familiarity with, and it is possible to put their grips on a real 1911 pistol, and "real" 1911 grips on a Western Arms airsoft.

Read some of the posts by John regarding his experiments with airsoft parts swapping. They are right here in the "Airsoft Project" area of our site.

Do you have actual custody of an airsoft that you are trying to identify the manufacturer of, or are you trying to figure out from witness descriptions who might have made the "pistol" in question? If the latter -- how do you know it was an airsoft?

By the way -- some of the biggest airsoft vendors/distributors in the country are in California. Why not drop in and chat them up?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th September 2010 at 20:23.

Posts liked by others
    The only issue with using real grips in airsofts, is adding a little weight. Usually.

I own a Weitech airsoft, called the WE P14, that's replicating a ParaUSA widebody 1911 with a 5" barrel. It CANNOT use standard grips from a real Para, because the airsoft's frame is about 2mm longer than normal (and the bottom screw hole in the frame is located lower, accordingly), in the grip area. However, I'm led to believe that this is an exception, and that most airsofts, including another Para replica from Western Arms, can use standard grips with no problems, except perhaps for widening the grip screw holes slightly, in some models.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, some pistols can use real grips. You have to remove some brass rings there are around the screw holes on the frame (Western Arms) but that's not difficult, the rings just drop out. Depending on the grips, you may have to modify them slightly to fit properly. And of course, since most airsoft pistols use some weight behind their grips, to mimick the real gun weight, if you use real wood grips for example, the pistol will be very light, unless you manage to install the weights behind the real grips.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    ....Do you have actual custody of an airsoft that you are trying to identify the manufacturer of, or are you trying to figure out from witness descriptions who might have made the "pistol" in question? If the latter -- how do you know it was an airsoft?

By the way -- some of the biggest airsoft vendors/distributors in the country are in California. Why not drop in and chat them up?
    I'm doing my "homework" at the moment as most of my hands on experience has been with actual firearms; as you know, it's important to be thorough. As information becomes available I'm sure I'll be able to narrow my research and be more specific.

If I could bother you for the name/contact info of the vendors/distributors mentioned above?

Off Topic: Great forum, it's been many years since I worked at the bench as a gunsmith. A lot of good info on a variety of topics.

Thanks to all who responded.

Posts liked by others
    Airsplat - El Monte, CA
    http://www.airsplat.com/

Airsoft Extreme - Compton, CA
    http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    Thanks

Posts liked by others
    maybe a little late, if you would like a direct introduction to the owner of Airsoft Extreme I can help with that. just PM me.

Helmut