Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Officer's Recoil Spring Plug OEM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Did you check the springs for binding before installing them? That's the only way to see if you need to cut coils off.

Having said that, I don't know what intricacies, if any, there are with the twin springs... I suppose if the slide doesn't get all the way to the rear, figuring out which spring of the two needs to be cut is a problem. I'm tempted to hazard a guess or two, but I'd rather leave it to those who own one of these pistols.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    rekladan,

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I did not read the above posts about how to check for spring bind before I installed the springs and racked the slide a few times. The first spring picture I posted was a single spring replacement for the dual spring system from Wolff. The second spring picture I posted was of the Colt recommended dual spring replacement from Jack First. Before I tried these two options, it did not occur to me that I might be able to cut the springs at all. Are you saying that if I check for spring bind, I might be able to cut the springs little by little until I found the right length? That would be GREAT. Do you think I need to have a smith to do that for me? I have read good reviews about the single spring replacement from Wolff, but again, the one I received was too long. Also, do you think the double springs are ruined?

DTW
    Last edited by dtwalters; 16th February 2011 at 06:15.

Posts liked by others
    Read post #7, carefully.

The spring can be cut with a decent pair of pliers, but be careful, they tend to fly away, FAST.

Again, I have no idea what the recommended way to check for bind in a dual spring setup might be. It would seem logical to me to install one spring at a time and do the check as Hawk describes, then install both and try again, but I don't know if this is the way to go.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others

I have two Colt Officers that I shoot a lot. I use the Wolff single recoil spring in both of them. Both of my springs look like this when the pistol is field stripped but I have never had a problem with either of them. Even though the spring looks very bent out of the pistol I think when it is installed the spring tunnel holds it in proper alignment.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwalters
    Are you saying that if I check for spring bind, I might be able to cut the springs little by little until I found the right length? That would be GREAT. Do you think I need to have a smith to do that for me? I have read good reviews about the single spring replacement from Wolff, but again, the one I received was too long. Also, do you think the double springs are ruined?
    Until you check for spring bind, you do not know whether or not they are too long. Don't start cutting off coils unless/until you have determined that it's necessary.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I did the check for spring bind. The slide would not come back nearly far enough. I cut a coil off of each spring (inner and outer) and checked again...better, but still bound. I cut another coil off of each spring...perfect. I had very little to loose since I bent the springs racking the slide anyway. Now off to try it out! Range report to follow.

DTW

Posts liked by others
    Back from the range...I fired about 75 rounds from 4 different magazines with one failure to go into battery and no other problems. I was previously having failure to go into battery with each of three magazines almost every time. The one time was using 230 grain Remington hollow points. The shell remained in the magazine and moved to the chamber when I racked the slide. With Winchester 230 grain FMJ, I had no problems whatsoever. I am going to continue testing, but I am pretty satisfied with today's performance.

DTW

Posts liked by others
    That's good to know, but it is disappointing that the springs were too long to fit the pistol without stacking. Is there anything non-standard about your pistol? Are you by any chance running a shock buffer in it, or a non-OEM recoil spring plug?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Nope, totally stock and I bought it new in the box in the mid '80s.

DTW
    Last edited by dtwalters; 17th February 2011 at 22:06.

Posts liked by others

Colt Tactical Officers

Bye the Bye, I have a Colt Tactical Officers 1911 circa 1989. It is an officers slide on a commander aluminium receiver. The only mod is the wolff single spring. It has been my carry gun for many years. It gets about 3 mags (Cobra Mags) of hydra shock 230 grain fired about once a quarter. Reliability has been perfect or I wouldn't carry it. Then a carful cleaning and a coat of restoration wax until the next quarter. It lives daily in a leather inside the belt holster in appendix carry. So far the gun is still on the original spring plug. I have some back up plugs From Jack First, but have not required one yet. Just wanted to add that these little guns can work pretty well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast