Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt Officer's Recoil Spring Plug OEM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Do they work

Quote Originally Posted by USMC/8541
    There is also a guy on ebay selling them for 20.00 in eather SS or blue. They are new old stock.
    Do they work? any experience with them

Posts liked by others
    Yes, they are new old stock.

Posts liked by others
    Had the same problem with my officer's modle. Replaced it with a reverse recoil spring from Ed Strange, No problem after 100 rounds.

Posts liked by others
    Thought it may be worth noting at this time you can get both springs, the cap/plug (stainless only) and the barrel bushing directly from colt if you call them. These are not on the website, and if you need other parts they would have to be purchased separately from the web and you'll pay for shipping twice

They were also able to find be a standard guide rod too.

Bill

Posts liked by others
    The only problem I see with that is that if the plug broke once, it will happen again. It may last longer with a stainless plug, but it seems to me, that it will break. A reverse plug system will prevent this from happening.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph1953
    The only problem I see with that is that if the plug broke once, it will happen again. It may last longer with a stainless plug, but it seems to me, that it will break. A reverse plug system will prevent this from happening.
    Not true.

There are Officers ACP pistols out there that have seen tens of thousands of rounds through them, with no failure of the recoil spring plug. If the tab shears off because of spring stacking, the problem is the spring length, not the plug design. Fix the spring problem, and a replacement plug should last almost indefinitely.

And a reverse plug is still going to be under a lot of stress if the spring stacks. If the reverse plug has a substantial flange that better resists the UNINTENDED stresses imposed by a stacked recoil spring -- those stresses have to go somewhere. If the plug doesn't break -- what WILL break?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (27th April 2018)

Posts liked by others

New member bill, post # 24

When I spoke with colt, the dual spring set up with the Officer's Model wasn't available. All of the parts for discontined models were auctioned off. Jack First bought some, but his supply is long gone.

I am definitely not disagreeing with you, but if you could provide part numbers and names, my OM and Detonics would much appreciate the courtesy. They, being colt, pretty much told me to go elsewhere.

On a happier note, george at EGW can provide some additional suggestions for the OM recoil system.

Please post your successful, or less than successful, solutions.

Thanks,

salty

Posts liked by others
    Got my replacement from Clark Custom Guns in La.

It's beefy and fit like a glove. (blue or stainless)

A little wet/dry paper and Flitz put some rouge on her cheeks.

$20
    http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/clk208om.htm

Shooting more, typing less
    Last edited by doc540; 8th November 2011 at 14:07.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123