Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bob Marvel's Custom Oil

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Bob Marvel's Custom Oil

A review of this specially-formulated gun oil has just been posted in our E-zine. You can read the review here and discuss in this thread.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for providing the write-up. Looks like a worthy addition to the gun cleaning kit.

Posts liked by others
    Great write-up gentlemen!

Posts liked by others
    A fine review of this product, only this time from a team of analysts!
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I love lube, and it probably works as stated, but Franks mention of TW-25B as a lithium grease really threw me as it isn't anything of the sort. It's a lube review, and credibility gets lost when obvious misinformation about the subject, lube, is given. Just saying.

Best,
    Jon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    ... Franks mention of TW-25B as a lithium grease really threw me as it isn't anything of the sort.
    Then what IS it?

Are you objecting to calling it grease, or to describing it as lithium?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th August 2010 at 23:18.

Posts liked by others
    I use Marvel's Custom Oil myself and I like it right much. It also does wonders on cleaning old vinyl records.

Posts liked by others
    Nice report folks, thank you.

About TW-25B:
    http://www.mil-comm.com/index.php?op...d=29&Itemid=43

Answers 1 and 5 are particularly relevant.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    Then what IS it?

Are you objecting to calling it grease, or to describing it as lithium?
    TW-25B doesn't use lithium to form the gel that holds the oil of choice in suspension. It is off white in color as is lithium grease, but the similarities stop there. PTFE in a microscopic ball shape gives TW-25B it's color, the synthetic oil chosen is partially absorbed by the PTFE particles and has a very creamy consistency. Using the complimentary oils from Mil-Comm is only recommended as they are the same ingredients as the grease, but in different proportions. Making it a lubricating system. So using it with a different oil is contrary to the makers recommendations and practice.

My comments where directed at the concept of product accuracy. When giving a description of a product, credibility is lost when misinformation is used. Unintentionally causing the reader to discredit what might actually be true in the rest of the description.

Just a technical point about a technical subject.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; 5th August 2010 at 15:46.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    ....but Franks mention of TW-25B as a lithium grease really threw me as it isn't anything of the sort....
    Thanks for bringing my error to my attention.

I referred to it as lithium grease because I was introduced to it some years ago. I was taking a class, and samples were distributed. It was identified as a lithium grease at the time, and I just accepted that characterization.

Again, thanks for setting me straight.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by Frank; 5th August 2010 at 14:14.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast