Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Fobus 1911 Tactical 1911 Roto-Holster Paddle

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Fobus 1911 Tactical 1911 Roto-Holster Paddle

Fobus 1911 Tactical 1911 Roto-Holster Paddle

I recently came across the opportunity to sample and review this holster after seeing it in a magazine under the New Products page.
    I had just mounted a new Tick Rail onto my RIA Tactical after reading the great review in m1911.org's E-zine, and of course that was quickly followed by a laser/light combo. Now my dilemma was that I had a gun that I could no longer fit into my leather, and she became my nightstand gun!

I made a call to Fobus after seeing the article on their new holster, and got a chance to talk to Adam Denard at length. My one major question and concern was if the holster would be able to fit a 1911 with an add-on aftermarket rail, specifically the Tick. Mr. Denard was not sure if it was compatable or not, and offered to send me a holster for testing.

Let me say that it works as advertised! For the record, I was only able to test it on one gun, BUT considering that it fit when using an add-on rail, I'm sure that 1911's with integral rails on the dust cover should not be a problem whatsoever.

Since it's said that a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll give you the pictures that I took of the Tactical holster with and without the gun installed, and show you some up close and detailed pics of the tolerances by the rails.

I do like how well the holsters flat black finish matches the Parkerizing on the Rock.

The side panels bulge out slightly to accommodate the wider fit.

This view shows how the side panels flare in to grip and cover the trigger and guard, and secure with the snap.

Note the pebbled texture on the paddle. This offers a better grip on the inside of the waistband.

Unlike most holsters, this one has a non-traditional drawing action, but very easy to get used to, and VERY fast with minimal practice. The retention snap has a reinforced tab that makes it easier to disengage with your trigger finger.

Here's is a picture showing the gun in a half draw...

The paddle design on this holster has a number of designs to help keep it in place. There is a rubberized insert on the inside of the paddle, as well as a textured, pebble surface on the outside. It also has 2 pronounced tabs as well as a ridge to enhance and secure the fit, almost like a belt loop tunnel.

Here's a better view of the backside of the paddle, showing the rubberized insert, and the adjustment screw used to adjust the cant.

From the company's website...

"Unique Fobus Roto-Holster rotates 360 degrees and adjusts easily for cross-draw, bodyguard/driver, small-of-the-back, and strong-side carries. Our patented locking adjustment allows the firearm either a forward or rearward cant, with our Proven Retention System.

In addition to allowing the carry of handguns that have accessories such as lights or lasers mounted under the barrel or on the trigger guard, Fobus has addressed safety and retention concerns that are unique to this model holster. The handgun is held securely in place by utilization of a muzzle stud and a safety strap that encircles the trigger guard. While assuring positive retention, rapid presentation of the handgun is made easy due to the open withdrawal slot on the rear of the holster and the design of the safety strap."

In closing, I'd like to say that Fobus has created a great holster system that also includes different accessories so you can use it in a number of different ways. In this review I had the paddle holster, but you can get different rigs that use the Roto system, from Molle, shoulder rig, tactical thigh rig, universal home a vehicle rig and others.

This review was originally intended to answer one question... "Does it fit with a Tick rail?" The answer is yes. Hopefully it answers some other questions, and help others with how this holster works.

You can find more information on this and other holsters at www.fobusholster.com

Thanks for reading,
    Paul Sanchez

Posts liked by others
    For what it's worth -- anyone considering a Fobus holster should read as many reviews and reports from actual users as possible BEFORE buying. There have been numerous reports of the holsters breaking away from the supporting paddle or belt loop module. I use a Fobus double mag holder for competition and I haven't had any problem, but I use it once a week for three hours a night, maximum. I have seen enough reports of failures that there's no way I would ever trust my self-defense, daily carry weapon to a Fobus holster.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside